• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Red Tegu Questions!

yumeze

[attachment=3354][attachment=3352][attachment=3353]Hi everybody, I just bought my first tegu! Its only been a few days and already love her. She is so sweet. Store says she is about a yr old and 27". I live in tampa, FL and will be keeping her outside mostly but def bringing her in this winter. But starting next year she will be outside all the time....except when i bring her in the house to hang out with me and feed her. I have some pics of the cage I made. Im only working with what i had already....used to be my guinea pigs cage. But think i did pretty good with the set up. I buried it 10" ground level and added a couple inches of to top it off at 12". The left side has a cover that is removable for sunny and shady days, when its sunny it will be covered so that she has a place to go that is kinda dark. the other end is a tub deep enough for her to emerge herself and more. I'm still making a door that will open on top so i'm not finished with that part yet. When i'm done, it will lock and the cage will be covered to be waterproofed. I wanted some criticism on the cage to see if theres anything else i need to do to it. Next spring i will be building her an 8x4x4. But for now, hoping this will be enough for her. My next question is my concern about bugs and mites. By being near and under the ground...is she more susceptible to getting these? All my reptiles have been inside, so i've never had to worry about critters and stuff. She also has a lump next to her left eye......the store says it is a birth mark but i'm most likely going to take her to my vet. But until then, wondered if anyone had seen this before?

Attachments

• 2011-10-06_14-30-16_416.jpg
    2011-10-06_14-30-16_416.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 4
  • 2011-10-06_16-47-11_665.jpg
    2011-10-06_16-47-11_665.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 2
  • 2011-10-07_21-59-16_700.jpg
    2011-10-07_21-59-16_700.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 4

yumeze

The cage is placed to be in the natural sunlight for over 10 hours. The left half will be covered for shade and cooler temps. Whereas, the right side is in the sun. Even though the lid may be solid, the sun reaches in through the side.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I would make the top open so they get the maximum amount of available UVB.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tegutula