• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

red tegu

j.sawyer48

can anyone guess how old my tegu is im guessin either 6 months or 7 months old but not sure let me know thanx

/Users/elisesawyer/Desktop/Photo on 2011-06-22 at 17.37.jpg

she is 1ft long and like half an inch

Strange_Evil

5 Year Member
Don't know if its just me but the pic does not work.

But for now i guess i could give you what i know so far on this matter. Tegu's like many reptile grow according to how they are being feed and cared for. Poor diet equals unhealthy small tegu, good diet nice healthy tegu. Uvb lights also play a huge role in the growth. Tegu's grow in spurts so when they do start to grow they really take off and from everything i read it's usually the second summer when they start to get some real length on them and the third summer when they start to fill out.

Not all will grow at the same rate though. It also depends if your hibernated or not as we'll so info like that would be really helpful.

Try to post things like when and where you got him from?

j.sawyer48

srry this is my first tegu but i got him from petsplus in tewksbury ma and i got him a month ago and no i am not hibernating him

also when would u suggest feeding ur tegu small mice?

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hi,..:) Welcome to the site and congrats on the new Gu.

To post pics you have to use a site like photo bucket or flickr then copy and paste the IMG Code into your post. Preview it before you post to make sure it shows up.

As for guessing your tegus age,.. it varies there's no way of knowing exactly how old unless you got it from a breeder.

You can start feeding mice or rats now that are the appropriate size for your Gu. They're usually able to take mouse pinkies and hoppers or rat pinkies in the beginning. But that depends on your tegus size.

j.sawyer48

Photoon2011-06-22at1737.jpg

Photoon2011-06-22at1738.jpg

Photoon2011-06-22at17376.jpg

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You're welcome,.. :) not a problem,.. that's what we're here for. At that size I would start it on mouse fuzzies, sm mouse hoppers or a rat fuzzie. It doesn't quite look big enough to take a rat hopper

j.sawyer48

i got him pinkys but he seems not to be interested at all in em i may think there too big for him

is there anything i can do to help my gu shedd anything special u guys doo?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If it is CB, I would guess about a year, but looks a little small so I would say it is a 6-7 month old import. Also you will not be able to prevent hibernation if you set him up correctly.

j.sawyer48

now when u say i will not be able to prevent hibernation if you set him up correctly wat do u mean ? ima alil confused lol

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If you give him the proper amount of substrate or a hide that he can burrow into, he will go down if he wants to.

tora

He won't be active at all. He may wake up for an hour or so every once in a while though.
You don't want to bother them if they're hibernating, either.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Eventually he should not come out at all. Just provide UVB, heat, fresh water, and offer food when/if he does come out. Once you realize he has gone down you can leave the heat and UVB off.

He may not hibernate, and may just be getting acclimated to his new environment. Just follow his lead.

j.sawyer48

im pretty sure my lil buddys hibernating i havnt seen him all day hes just bin under his rock wit the entence blocked off. Wat would u guys say hes hibernating????

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeguSteff