• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Rep-Cal Calcium: Phosphorus and Vitamin D3 Free for reptiles

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Rep-Cal Calcium has a new product that I want to let you guys know about. It is Phosphorus and Vitamin D3 Free for reptiles.

Calcium deficiency is a major dietary problem of captive reptiles and amphibians. Maintaining a proper calcium:phosphorous ratio in the diet of is believed to be just as important nutritionally as an adequate calcium intake. The problem in most cases is an improper Ca:p ratio, not too little Ca. Pick up some Rep-Cal Calcium - Phosphorus and Vitamin D3 Free for your reptile today. A great calcium to phosphorus ratio for your tegu is 1:2.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Mvskokee said:
so this new one is better than the ones with it in it

Yes, for a long time I have been anti D3 additives, now I know another reason why. I posted this in another thread:

Yes it is true, all though D3 has many side effects if overdosed; it has now been linked to impactions in studies that have been done. So if you are having impactions in your reptiles, you might need to change your supplement to one that is free of D3. As a side note, whole prey items (Mice, Rats, Chicks) and proper UV removes the need for any D3 additives.

Nero

5 Year Member
hmmm what about for the leopard gecko? because they dont need uva/uva lights to survive, since they are all nocturnal what should be correct vitamin?

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Nero said:
hmmm what about for the leopard gecko? because they dont need uva/uva lights to survive, since they are all nocturnal what should be correct vitamin?

I do not know about animals that do not bask, or if D3 is needed with them at all. In the wild they do not have food dusted with D3, so I would look into what the wild diet is made of. If they do not bask in the wild, then they must get it from the food intake, or they do not get it at all.

Gx3

5 Year Member
Feed the leopard geckos D3. I always feed my reptiles that aren't exposed to regular UVB Zoo Meds Reptivite with D3 (this is a good one because it sticks to the bugs better than other products). I even feed my amphibians that are exposed to regular UV this and I've noticed that they are all fat and healthy. Been using this product for years. PS thanks for the info Bobby I was actually wondering about that.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I try to help people think about what works, just remember these manufacturers of the vitamin products are out to make a profit, they will often tell you things to market these items. That does not mean that they are needed, or even beneficial to your reptile. I am one that would like to see studies done by these manufacturers proving these products help keep healthy animals and not do more harm than good.

BTW, did you know that most times crushed oyster shells are used for the calcium in these products? Are crushed oysters shells the same as bones found in rodents and birds? What about reptiles being able to process and digest crushed shells? Just something to ponder, and think more on.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1834">http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1834</a><!-- m -->
The findings by reptile veterinarians, reptile nutritionists, and biologists are resultings are contrary to the claims made by the manufacturers of the vitamin products.

Also the side effects of an overdose of Cholecalciferol or D3 can be the same signs seen in the lack of proper D3 intake. It seems no one knows how much of this stuff is enough, or how much is too much. But one thing for sure is it can be deadly to your reptile. I can not say about animals that do not bask, but for the ones that do, proper UV is a must, and much safer than products with D3 added.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu