• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

sex decision

VenomVipe

5 Year Member
I will be getting one of the normal black and whites this summer from bobby and and an extreme of opposite sex the next summer. I'm not sure what the most time efficient decision would be to breed as soon as possible. How old or big do males and the females have to be to breed. I dont care what sex i get now now as long as im not just " wasting time" if you know what i mean. I also know sexes arent garenteed but still would like to start out right the best i can. Any suggestions?

VenomVipe

5 Year Member
Hehe i wish. I can only afford one normal this year but who knows next year i may get an extreme and have one normal female from the year before. That is perfect in my opinion. You've got a trio and you can still produce normals and extremes giving you a variety so you can get the normals sold and make some decent money of the extremes. I think you've just knocked a load of sense in my head. THANKS!

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I am simply regergitating what I've read... as I've never bred Tegus...

But I've read that females can breed at in their third year and males in their second...

Like Red Earth, I suggest you get the same species both years... there is no reason/benefit to making hybrids. That is not to criticize hybrids, but in my opinion we hobbyists should leave exploring crosses to 'the professionals' (and even then it's often not such a good diea).

Also, it sounds to me (based on your second post in this thread) like you plan on mislabeling your hybrids as pure of one species or the other. I'm not accusing you of trying to do anything wrong, just pointing out it looks like you need to do some more research before you start a breeding project.

Male or female, B&W or Chacoan, Breeding or not, Tegus are very cool animals and I'm sure you'll be happy with what you decide on.

VenomVipe

5 Year Member
If you think about it the norms and extremes are the same species so what i would try to do is end up with like a 50/50 split and then have a pure clutch of extremes. But i probably need to find out how the genes would play out. It is not like breeding a red and black and white ,you know?

VenomVipe

5 Year Member
Can a Giant and Norm breed. If so what would the offspring look like. Would it be a hybrid or half and half.

Toby_H

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I am quite sure a Chacoan and a B&W could breed together...

I've heard/read Bobby say that Chacoan and B&W are different species, which would make their offspring a hybrid which is a half and half...

If they were the same species and the difference was caused by a mutated gene (such as B&W vs. Blues) then the offspring could either be a mix (half and half) or the mutated gene could be passed in a recessive state (Mendelian inheritance, which is how Albinism and Leucism is passed)

I'm not a "hybrid hater", but at the same time I would discourage the creation of hybrids unless it is to pursue a 'greater cause'. Since these two species are so similar (foremost difference being size) a hybrid would simply look like an extra big B&W or a slightly smaller Chacoan... With the pure species of each being so similar and not suffering from a genetic bottleneck, a cross would just be (in my eyes) messing up otherwise healthy genetics.

If you do choose to cross any species/morphs, I highly suggest you inform anyone who may purchase the offspring that they are a cross and not a pure species. Many people would be highly upset if such details were not honestly shared when the deal was first offered/considered.

And again, I'm not suggesting you are attempting to do anything unethical or improper. I'm simply sharing thoughts and details on your topic.

VenomVipe

5 Year Member
Yes. I just wanted some opinions about this. The main conflict of my idea would be how would i even market them. I think now i am going to adapt my plans to where I'm not going to do that. I think the tracking of the genes of what was what and which is which would just become a mess so i think im just going to keep it clean.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu