• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Shedding/eating problems long after surgery

Teddy tegu

Has anyone encountered shedding or eating problems that may have started due to a previous surgery (under total anesthetic)?
Minor tail surgery but under general anesthesia.

Teddy tegu

sarefina said:
Can you give us alittle more details ? How long has he not eaten or shed?

He had the surgery a little over a year ago, he hasn't shed since that. He is 4years old. He didn't want to eat by himself since about 6-8 months, I've been feeding him by syringe purée about once or so per week. He does poop. Vet says they don't shed every year when they are adults. Skin has browned got little leathery like he needs to shed but some little scales that come off, The skin under does not seem ready. He used to be shinny black and pure white. He doesn't seem to be as active, thought it maybe hibernation, he has never gone under hibernation completely before, only slowed down. I have increased humidity in his room to 60-70%. He has always slept in a wet moss box and sill has that which he sleeps in. He has his own garden room, not in a tank. Mulch is cypress mulch. Heat on his basking side gets to 107deg. Cool side is about 80deg. It is 80deg in his box and his box is 10-15% higher in humidity. I change MVB 160W every 6 months. Was using Solar Glo brand for about a year or so..I changed brands to Powersun about 2 months ago.
I have now taken him outside for 1-2hours several days per week for last 2 months with soak in his outside tub water. Water temp about 87-88deg. His food used to be chicken/liver/cod liver oil mix, FT mice, fruit,scrabbled eggs, fish, calcium, vit., calcium w/o vit D with meals, and with vit D every 3 rd meal. Now since not eating by himself I purée same and give by syringe when he lost 1-2 pounds weight..he was 4.5 feet long at 22lbs, he is now 21 lbs. vet has tested his Ca/phoshorous ratio says its normal, x-rays look normal except little arthritis in joints, normal stool.

SnakeCharmr728

5 Year Member
Try bumping up his basking spot temp to 115-120 and may consider adding some bee pollen powder to his food, its an appetite stimulant but also incredibly healthy and high in protein.

Teddy tegu

Thank you, a matter of fact why didn't I think of that...I have some Electrolyte & appetite stimulant by Herpcare...it's old so I can buy new or try your your bee pollen powder. Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu