• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

shedding

DoctorPepper4

5 Year Member
How many times does a tegu shed....cause it seems like my red tegu is shedding ever two weeks....and my four year old is shedding maybe twice a year before and after hibernation....but my two and a half foot one sheds every two weeks is this normal or even healthy???

just wondering

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
A growing tegu will shed as often as it grows, you have to remember that the out skin is dead and there fore does no grow with the animal. When Bosco was tiny it seemed like I was constantly removing dead shed from his enclosure, not I treasure each time he sheds and I get to see that new bright skin underneath.

So as long as you younger tegu is still growing I would say a shed every two weeks is not abnormal.

larissalurid

Depending on how fast they are growing they will shed more or less. My Extreme hatchling has shed 3 times in the past 3 weeks! Obviously that's much more often than an adult tegu would for example.

Shedding is healthy and necessary for a growing tegu. :]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jungle Jamz