• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Should a shedding Tegu hibernate?

G

My Tegu hasnt been up 2 days now but shes about to shed! What should I do?

Also if I keep my thermostat in my house at around 68-69 degrees is it safe to leave her light off at night?

Thanks.

slideaboot

5 Year Member
Your tegu is fine, I'm assuming. There seems to be a lot of concerned folks when it comes to tegu hibernation ( I was one, myself). However, tegus know much more about their hibernation than we do. If your tegu feels ready to hibernate, it's probably ready to hibernate, regardless of whatever issues WE as owners might have with it. I totally understand your concern--I, personally, wouldn't think twice about it, though.

G

Mine is doing the same thing...kind of (she actually has a stuck shed and is shedding). I wouldn't worry about it, but i would put a humidity box in there with damp sphagnum (on the warm side). She use it if she needs to. Plus, on the rare occasion that she comes out, rubbing a little olive oil on her works wonders.

G

Turns out shes not quite hibernating yet. My friend told me she came out today. I cant feed her or change her water though Im in the hospital just had a baby boy at 4:45 AM this morning!

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I miss many posts with my odd hours and spurts of inactivity but congratulations on the new baby, that should keep you busy for quite some time!! As for the night time temperatures that's plenty warm enough. I've had my tegu outside with lows in the 20s with no artificial heat, though a nice deep burrow in which he was hibernating. These lizards seem to be extremely durable when it comes to temperature fluctuation and you should be fine with your 68-69.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu