• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Should Tegus Share The Same Hide?

carcharios

5 Year Member
I introduced my female, Frieda to the larger male I just purchased and he didn't seem to mind her and vice versa. At one point in the garden when they were both behind a bush, I heard some snorting when they encountered one another head on. After a brief pause, they both climbed over one another and moved on. They really seemed oblivious to the whole encounter. He wasn't aggressive and neither was she. They seemed to get along fine. For this reason, I housed them both together this evening in her outdoor enclosure. They are presently sharing her hide tonight. Should I be concerned? Is it worth purchasing another hide or can they both share one?

DMBizeau

mine share and don't seem to have any problems. You might want to move it to a different position in the cage though.

Herplings

5 Year Member
That is a good point. Moving the hide to a new place in the cage will make the hide seem less like its "mine" to the Tegu that has been in there the longest and it will make it more like a "new" hide.

If you have the space for it 2, 3 or even 4 hides is not always a bad idea.

I house my Savvys in the same cage and they share their hides quit a bit.

carcharios

5 Year Member
Ok, well today I came home, went to open up Kimo (his new name) and Frieda's outdoor enclosure to give them water and Kimo scared the crap out of me. I've never seen a Tegu lunge - and when I say lunge, I mean jet towards me with mouth wide open. He lunged so far, he fell out of the cage. Picking him up was fun to say the least. Thank god I had gloves near by. What is strange is that just yesterday, he was super docile and I was picking him up repeatedly. Today, he's turned into T-Rex. Is this because he's protecting Frieda (who was in the hide) or was he just in a bad mood. I should have known better because his posture was telling when I first got near the cage - back arched, throat puffed up, etc. I hope he changes his tune. He was flat-out scary. Frieda and Diego have postured before but they've never lunged like this.

themedic

by the way if hes lunging hes hungry 100% sure, they dont lunge to attack.

if he wanted to attack you even after he landed outside his cage he would have #1 ran away in fear, or #2 attacked your feet, im guessing he did neither.

hes prob just hungry when my gus are hungry they lunge at me, and even climb there wire mesh cage lol.

just keep em fed, feed em in the morning, then once more 4-5 hrs later you will see they will calm down tremendously.

themedic

also, no tegus like being woke up, i mean who does it sucks! one min your dreaming about flying like a seagul the next your back to reality.

DMBizeau

How old are your tegus? If they arent sexually mature he was probly just hungry. My Tegus don't even use their hides they prefer to burrow under the 3-4" of cypress mulch in their enclosure and they don't mind being woke up, I just make sure I don't startle them if I have to.

Even though my tegus share an enclosure I never feed them together. I tried it with my blues early on and found out even the best of friends prefer not to share food lol.

DMBizeau

if they are 2.5 years old he could definitely be trying to protect her because they are both sexually mature and it is still technically breeding season. Hope you have a plan for lots of baby tegus.

carcharios

5 Year Member
It's strange though because yesterday, they barely interacted and now this? They must have gotten better acquainted while I was at work. It's amazing how tame he was yesterday and yet how defensive he was today. I've never seen a Tegu lunge, never mind lunge out of the cage. And for the first time, I really saw their teeth. Pretty scary sight. Some of his teeth were curved though most were rounded. I didn't realize they had two types of teeth - nor did I realize just how wide their mouths open!

carcharios

5 Year Member
Ok, so this had to come up at some point. How bad does a tegu bite hurt? I'll be wearing gloves for now when I put my hands in the enclosure but I'd still like some idea of how bad it hurts from someone who's been bitten. I was amazed at how strong these guys are too. It was like trying to wrestle a little alligator. And I also didn't realize just how fearless Kimo is. He literally lunged out of his cage while trying to bite me!

Pikey

5 Year Member
ok @ themedic...... Ummmm. yeah they do to "lunge" when they attack
he wouldn't have ran or attacked again, because from the sounds of it the cage is off the ground so it would have been in shock from the fall

I have 4 tegus (3 B&W 1 Red) that share a 8x16 out door pen they ave 2 large hides & 90% of the time they all sleep in the same hide

all 4 of my tegus are puppies inside, But they go out side and my 9 month old B&W girl will lunge, run, jump, and puff up

my younger male (2 - 2.5yrs) will do the same but worse even when i'm feeding them, after i've feed them, & just looking over the wall

I sit with them atleast an hour a day and they are getting better, it's just the outdoors some times it drives them "Crazy"

The bite does hurt, but most of the time it's just really quick so not to bad but if they "bite and grind" thats when it will hurt the most (they have little teeth, but they are sharp)

TanMan57

5 Year Member
Their bite hurts but its more of a shock to you then actual pain. My red tegu gets really crazy around food even if he thinks theres going to be food. When I got bit I made the mistake of using there tongs to pull the drain cover off of the shower drain so their poo could go down the drain. As soon as I brought the tongs in he freaked out and ran towards me and grabbed my fingers and then let go. I was more scared then I was hurt. But as soon as i picked him up she was back to normal.

carcharios

5 Year Member
Yeah, I was wondering if the outdoors had something to do with it. I know that they can sometimes get antsy outside.

I like the idea of a pen. The rabbit hutch with mesh roof is working well for now but a pen seems like it would be ideal - especially if I could dig them an underground hide. My biggest fear of having an open top enclosure are the foxes and hawks in my area. I used to have a pet starling that I had rescued until my wife put in on the front porch for "spring cleaning". Two days later, I found a severed wing on the bottom of the bird cage and a bunch of pin feathers and blood all over the top of the cage. I eventually found the head on the side of the grass when I was cutting the lawn. Seems a red shouldered hawk or screech owl got the starling early one morning and somehow managed to eat it through the cage.

I know an adult tegu is much more equipped to defend itself from predators but we also have great horned owls out here and I've heard they'll eat just about anything - even cats!

themedic

tegus are smart animals, mine amaze me more and more everyday.

If it really wanted to attack you, it would. they arent aggressive by nature when it lunges at you its probably because its hungry or think its going to be fed i doubt its because it wants to hurt you, unless its been abused in the past I dont see why any tegu would resort to violence assuming you are the only person that interacts, feeds and cleans its cage out.

Pikey

5 Year Member
themedic said:
If it really wanted to attack you, it would. they aren't aggressive by nature when it lunges at you its probably because its hungry or think its going to be fed i doubt its because it wants to hurt you, unless its been abused in the past I dont see why any Tegu would resort to violence assuming you are the only person that interacts, feeds and cleans its cage out.

I dont know how you can say a animal that hunts and kills prey are not aggressive by nature? So an alligator or snake isn't aggressive either

Tegus may not be offensively aggressive, but they are Defensively Aggressive.
If they feel threatened or cornered they can and will attack

and in the out side there is all new sounds, smells, & they get spooked when you "come out of nowhere" so the basic instincts start to take over

My li'l girl Harley was mine since i few weeks old the nicest one of the 4 & now out side she wants nothing to do with me, so no she was NEVER ABUSED

carcharios

5 Year Member
Pikey said:
I dont know how you can say a animal that hunts and kills prey are not aggressive by nature? So an alligator or snake isn't aggressive either

Tegus may not be offensively aggressive, but they are Defensively Aggressive.
If they feel threatened or cornered they can and will attack

and in the out side there is all new sounds, smells, & they get spooked when you "come out of nowhere" so the basic instincts start to take over

That's an interesting topic because dogs and cats are also predators and yet they're domesticated (some) and don't have the attack instinct. And I've also seen video footage like most here of a tegu owner stepping into a pen of tegus, only to be greeted by them, so I know they are capable of giving positive attention to those they recognize. The question becomes, how do I build this kind of relationship with Kimo. As long as he's in an enclosure, that I have to reach into to get him, he's probably going to strike at me. Does this mean that the answer is to build a pen type enclosure instead that I can walk into like the one on the video?

I already have a really large garden with a 7' fence that I sometimes let my tegus roam in but I've never left them in there unsupervised because again, I'm afraid the hawks, etc. may get them. Am I being overly cautious?

Pikey

5 Year Member
with a pen I'd have to put the fence/walls under as well as above ground or build one like varnyard has.
they can and will get used to you outside but it takes time

(i knew some1 would bring up the dog & cat topic)
Tegus & all other reptiles have be come popular in the last say 60 years so ALL of the reptiles in homes are wild or CB for only a few generations

unlike cats and dogs Ummm they have been kept as pets for over 2000yrs
so they have been pets their parents, and there parents and so on and so on so they are now bred and have been bred to be pets

but you take a dog/cat and let it run wild it will be wild again.... It just takes time just like taming them....mine are ALL nice & sweet inside but i mean as soon as you cross the door way and step out side the 2 go nuts, BUT they are getting better

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu