• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Small appetite

SirTyrion

So i've had my tegu for probably 5-6 months and in this entire time he has never had quite the appetite that i've seen most tegus display. he is a picky eater as well he would at first only eat pinkies and now all he will eat is ground turkey and he only picks at it hardly touching to really. the only thing he will really go to town on is egg and even his eggs he is picky about he doesn't want cooked eggs only raw and i really don't like giving them to him raw because on salmonella. He has certainly grown since I got him any tips or should I not be concerned with his eating habbits?

pictures are from the day I got him to today

Attachments

• baby tyrion.jpg
    baby tyrion.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 20160830_111200.jpg
    20160830_111200.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 49

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
No he is an argentine red
Well, finicky as he is, he looks robust, and that's good. A finicky eater is frustrating because you want him/her to eat well and a balanced diet. He's healthy, so he won't starve himself. You might want to try mixing the raw egg in with some, not lots, of high quality wet dog food or the ground turkey he nibbled at. I would try that a few times in a row and see if he's taking more turkey that way.

SirTyrion

ok thank you for the advise I really appreciate it. so insted of me making another post while im at it. will they normally calm down as they get older? he's pretty good for me he never bites or whips his tail and takes food from my hand when he does want to eat. When I have him out though he never finds a spot and lays in it. Also somtimes when I go to pick him up he will lash out in order to free himself. Is this just him testing me and seeing what he can get away with?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
ok thank you for the advise I really appreciate it. so insted of me making another post while im at it. will they normally calm down as they get older? he's pretty good for me he never bites or whips his tail and takes food from my hand when he does want to eat. When I have him out though he never finds a spot and lays in it. Also somtimes when I go to pick him up he will lash out in order to free himself. Is this just him testing me and seeing what he can get away with?
A little of both. As they grow, less seems to bother them, less to fear. they'll wander where they want to, but as for picking them up, that can take some getting used to by them. Next time, lift him and place straight against your chest so he's vertical, as one would do with a baby from the cradle.

SirTyrion

I will certainly try that I try not to hold him against his will but I've also read about different taming methods im really not trying to force myself onto him. But thank you again so much for the advise.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeguSteff