• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

So confused... help Anyone?

jumper123

I have a 1 1/2 year old female normal ball python. She was rescued from my local shelter last August. She has always been an incredible eater/shedder all around good snake. The past 3 months have been rough. Every time she sees a hand she strikes.

Note:: no change in temps, surroundings, time of day, humidity.

About the time she started striking hands, she started missing her prey. (She goes to strike the f/t mouse out of the tongs and misses 3-4 times before actually making contact). If you just rest a hand on top the screen to her tank she goes up to strike.

Note:: She had no history at the shelter except that she was found on the side of a highway.

Her eyes are clear, (no caps left over shed). I am completely lost.. sight problem? neurologic?

Age is approximate, I estimated by her size.. she could be well over 1 and 1/2 years, just under fed before i got her

new2tegus

Vet trip I think would be in order, sorry but it could be either of those along with inner ear issues could affect balance. You want a definitive answer, get peace of mind and go to someone who can give you one. I hope it all works out for you.

Dirtydmc

As far as her bad aim, see a vet. You shouldn't ever hand feed. They will make up those mind that food comes from your hand. Second, I hope you don't feed her where she sleeps. You want their hunting grounds to be in a seperate place. My snakes will strike anything that enters their feeding box. But never in their tank. Good luck. Hope your snake is ok.

jumper123

Dirtydmc said:
As far as her bad aim, see a vet. You shouldn't ever hand feed. They will make up those mind that food comes from your hand. Second, I hope you don't feed her where she sleeps. You want their hunting grounds to be in a seperate place. My snakes will strike anything that enters their feeding box. But never in their tank. Good luck. Hope your snake is ok.

Hi there! Thanks for your response I feed with 24in tongs in a rubbermaid bin. Never in her home. Im starting to think alot of the problem is vision the more I compare my two ball pythons eyes the more odd Hers look. Although I could be overreacting

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Dirtydmc said:

When I kept snakes, I fed them all in their enclosure. There is no need to move them for feeding.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont