• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Spiny Iguana (Ctenosaura Similis)

Deac77

5 Year Member
Does anyone have any info or expirence with this animal im looking into them but kinda wanna know more about the personality and eating habbits i cant seem to find many care sheets and almost no info on how well they tame down any input would be nice thanks

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
i use to keep one, they are extremely hard to tame down, diet is same as any iguana with the exception of animal protien,they need enough space to be able to climb, anything else you want to know just ask

Deac77

5 Year Member
thats awesome what type animal protien did you feed? how often? what basking temps and what not? (the ones im lookings at are caught in florida but from what ive read they'd do really well in my type of climate) did you keep a male or female? (sorry to bombard with questions ive been looking into a iguana and decided i didnt want a green was goin to get a cross then saw this )

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
np i kept a single unsexed ig, i gave him supers, mealies or crix once every other week, the rest was the same as my greens, from my understanding basking is good around 101-105* ambient around 85-90* if memory serves me correctly, honestly they are great display but if you was a lizard you can handle i'd go with the cross

Deac77

5 Year Member
Thats what im learning i was thinking more of a Display ive been googling (the source of all wrong =P) and some of the males are beautiful ive never been much of iguanas but this one is catching my attention its a shame they are so agressive do you know much about the cayman/blue hybrids?

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
i havnt kept them so what i know is from talking to friends who do have them, i do know that out of all rock iguanas they are the easiest to tame down

Deac77

5 Year Member
personally what is the easiet iguana to keep in YOUR VIEW <--disclaimer xD my girlfriend really wants one and i do too (tho ill probably be the one taming it down lol) ive never had much luck with them at all all ive been around is greens and they seem to be either sweet as a puppy or mean as sin no in between personally im ok with having to work on it and like the hybrids once again i think they are beautiful (seems superficial but if i want a lizard i like them to be pretty lol)

Bntegus

they are a lot harder to care for then cycluras and they like it hot around 110-140 and they only eat small pray tell they are older. males are very cool looking. if you are looking for something that you can hold i would get c.pectinata they tame a lot better or c.melanosterna they cost more but there are worth every penny.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu