• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Stool Question

Taydeon

5 Year Member
I have had jaws almost 2 weeks now andshe just started eatin last week. As of the last week she has eaten 4 mice ground beef and ground turkey and has yet to defacate.....should i be worried?

tupinambis

5 Year Member
ground: adjective - reduced to very small pieces by putting through a food processor or grinder

beef: noun - the flesh of a cow, steer, or bull raised and killed for its meat

is: verb - 3rd person singular present indicative of "be"

fine: adjective - healthy; well

It comes in grades, you can get ground beef just as lean as turkey. In comparison, extra lean ground beef usually has less fat content than the average captive raised rodent - would you say whole prey rodents shouldn't be used because of their fat content? The strategy of "feed them as much as they'll eat every day" is far more deleterious to their health in regards to fat than would be if you fed your tegus ground beef several times a week as part of a balanced diet. It's easy to dismiss out of ignorance, so people do so.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It too am from Earth and English is my native language.

There must be another reason. I realize most care sheets are just regurged from another source and are probably just someones opinion, not scientific. Why is red meat frowned upon for human consumption lately, being tied to a higher risk for heart attacks? I'm assuming the fat content.

Do you have a scientific reason why beef is OK for Tegu's? Or does it really matter?

I'm probably speaking out of my arse!

tupinambis

5 Year Member
90% of the "diet" information out there is not based on anything but opinion (human consumption, that is). The "red meat = bad" is a propaganda message, not a scientific fact. The science behind it is more with the lifestyle associated with primarily red meat eaters (BBQs, lots of salt, high fat content side dishes, low excercise, smokers, etc.) than with the idea of eating red meat alone. What ultimately becomes unhealthy is the calorie content. These diets that are based on eating particular food groups to the exclusion of other food groups and claiming to be healthy are mere fads, not fact. Any scientific nutritionist will tell you variety is key, getting as much vitamins and minerals from natural sources as possible, and that reduced calorie intake is important to maintaining a healthy weight. You can eat nothing but veggies and if your calorie intake was around 5000kCal/day, you are going to be obese and in poor health. Beef in and of itself is not bad. Where it becomes bad, particularly for tegus, is when someone just goes to Safeway, buys the cheapest regular grind, and feeds them mostly that without proper vitamin & mineral supplementation. That certainly is bad. The same would be true for turkey. The whole turkey issue is an initial project was done with turkey because it was lower in fat content than regular ground beef, and because the average person is ignorant to the specifics of it, they've all jumped on the "turkey = good, beef = bad" idea and it has been propagated ad nauseum without any backup.

Taydeon

5 Year Member
well all she eats now is mice , talapia and turkey and i would say chicks... but she only ate its guts and left the rest of it there while she was basking

tupinambis

5 Year Member
Eating only the internal organs while leaving the rest of the prey untouched is frequently a sign that their diet is calorie high, nutrient poor.

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I feed mine Beef all the time.. they are fine(not fat)... I dont see why most people freak out about feeding ground beef to a tegu.. Its not bad for them at all really. enless your buying Cheap fatty meat.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Lexi said:
I feed mine Beef all the time.. they are fine(not fat)... I dont see why most people freak out about feeding ground beef to a tegu.. Its not bad for them at all really. enless your buying Cheap fatty meat.

Well that is the point, most people tend to buy cheaper ground beef. However, I have fed lean beef, beef hearts, beef liver and even deer meat.

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Well yes, if you are going to be a cheap SOB and buy horribly fatty beef.. then yes..it is very bad for Tegus.. But if you buy lean beef its fine.. Mine get Beef heart (which is real cheap around here), Deer, Fish, Eggs, and Turkey (fresh out of the woods)

angelrose

5 Year Member
I just adopted a 3 1/2 foot b/w arg. tegu this week. looks very healthy just very little stuck shed. she slept real good the first night and the very next day she ate two f/t large mice and the next day some chicken gizzards. then today she made a large MUSHY POO is this normal for a BIG tegu :?:

the guy only told me that she eats anything. so, I guess it depends on what he fed her and that is what is coming out :?:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu