• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Stuck shed skin...HOW TO REMOVE IT

KSTAR

5 Year Member
My tegu has just came out of shed but has a bit stuck on the base of his tail and he soaked today but didnt seem to go anywhere and it's not horrible but you can notice it its very light and is just shed cause everywhere around it he's nice and bright...is there anything else I can do for it besides soaking and trying to remove it?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The tail is generally last to come off, if he just shed, give it a few days.

KSTAR

5 Year Member
I been doing that bruh...idk maybe it's just me...ill figure it out maybe that piece is just taking a bit...@chito

TeguBlake

You could even get that spray that helps for shed and rub it into the trouble spots always helps me! its only like 5 dollars.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
I put oil on my reptiles if I'm concerned. Veg or olive... works great for snake eyecaps. Only trouble is it makes them delicious to the dogs...if they're on my bed my min pin follows them around licking them...haha.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

KSTAR

5 Year Member
@tegublake...Which spray do you use to remove the shed?
@tegudude...how do you remove it? Just apply Vaseline and rub it?

chitodadon

1,000+ Post Club
Re: RE: Stuck shed skin...HOW TO REMOVE IT

KSTAR said:
@tegublake...Which spray do you use to remove the shed?
@tegudude...how do you remove it? Just apply Vaseline and rub it?

Try shed ease thats what I used on Godzilla and it helped

from Samsung Galaxy S3

KSTAR

5 Year Member
I took these pics to show you guys how it looks...The spot right by the base of his tail then a little lower down from that is the other piece they're pretty visible in the pic...I been soaking him and rubbing it gently but bits and bits come off nothing big..here's a few pics...
3614FC77-89E3-4704-8B74-6DF4E04E2359-8072-0000037530ED3964.jpg

0BB71286-A167-4DB3-A4F3-8D58D84840FD-8072-000003752B91C644.jpg

5C35CAF6-00F0-463E-A1AA-BAA4055077AD-8072-00000375369A91D1.jpg

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
If it's just individual pieces and not a ring that can cut off circulation then it's not something to worry about, it will come off on it's own in time.

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
TeguBlake said:
You could even get that spray that helps for shed and rub it into the trouble spots always helps me! its only like 5 dollars.

That stuff (shed aid) is junk. Look on Melissa Kaplan's website. I would use mineral oil or unflavored Pam. It should penetrate even better. NOT MINERAL SPIRITS!

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
D, you can get mineral oil labeled as an intestinal lubricant at your local chain drug store. PM me with any other lubricant questions. (wink)

dinorawr

My tegu has had a few layers on his tail for a while, we've been working on it with daily hot baths, rubbing and peeling the loose skin, and then oiling him up with either mineral oil or A&D cream. That cream works great, though it smells kind of awful. Also, changing the diet to have more fish and cod liver oil is helpful too. We've been struggling with the sheds for a while though, so any more suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated by us and Bruce!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeguSteff