• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

tame savannah

ok so after 2 months galil my savy is tame i noticed this because now she doesnt get huffy when im in the room she scratchs the glass and now lets me pet her head im so happy that i tamed her i remember when i first got her she bit me over and over and over again now shes tame and wont leave me alone :D

Compnerd7

That's great! That is also a pretty big accomplishment, I'd be super stoked if I trained down my SM too... I know that is not the easiest lizard to tame. A friend of mine had a Savannah Monitor for years, and as soon as he got it, I told him to start taming it down... he never listened and ended up with a psycho lizard. Literally, the lizard seemed insane to me, when it wasn't biting you, it was running around like it was on speed, hence his name " Spazz ". It was a shame really, eventually he gave him away to breeder which was fortunate for the lizard. I told him to never get another monitor again if he wouldn't put in the time to handle him and tame him. He has all Ball Pythons now haha.

dragonmetalhead

1,000+ Post Club
What do you feed your sav? I am doing research on them because I think I would like to get one in the future and there's a lot of bad/confusing info on the internet. I'd like some input from someone who has some hands-on experience with them.

well i feed crickets every day like 1 dozen because they eat past a full point then a mouse every 2 weeks and once a month steak or chicken im going to try snails soon because they are healthier then mice

http://savannahmonitor.org/feeding/diet/ heres an amazing care website

galil004.jpg

galil002.jpg

the camera quality is crap i know i was using a dsi
the cage in the background is not my savs its my beardies galils cage is 3 ft long 1 ft wide 2 ft tall im building her new cage very soon

thanks shes really fun to keep i got her because i have a tegu at my dads house so i decided i wanted a large lizard at my moms house and i didnt have alot of money for another tegu so i got my savannah and already had lights and things

Vermundor

monstruo-the-tegu said:
basking is 110 reg is 88 coolend 70 with a water bowl at the end humidty is 77

That basking temp is too low, thats probably the reason why he's so mellow.

Bump it up to 120-130. Otherwise, he looks and sounds like a great lizard! Those pictures are adorable!

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Vermundor said:
monstruo-the-tegu said:
basking is 110 reg is 88 coolend 70 with a water bowl at the end humidty is 77

That basking temp is too low, thats probably the reason why he's so mellow.

Bump it up to 120-130. Otherwise, he looks and sounds like a great lizard! Those pictures are adorable!

Yep. Do you have any enclosure pics to share?

i moved light closer now i have a basking temp of 142 im gonna take some pics of enclosure
galil010.jpg
galil009.jpg

galil008.jpg

galil011.jpg

galil006.jpg

galil005.jpg

here are some pics of her in her cage and her cage itself

RobK.

monstruo-the-tegu said:
ok so after 2 months galil my savy is tame i noticed this because now she doesnt get huffy when im in the room she scratchs the glass and now lets me pet her head im so happy that i tamed her i remember when i first got her she bit me over and over and over again now shes tame and wont leave me alone :D

Good job !!:D

The Sav i had also tamed down like yours . they are a sucker for food more so than my rhino , So used food also to tame my Sav . The Sav i had was so gentle and sweet . They are cool reptiles for sure . I fed mine small thawed mice ''ALMOST'' every day , along with turkey and chicken and shelled hard boiled egg. sold him when we moved to Utah , We brought my mother with us and became my her care giver 24/7 in our home for 4 1/2 years . Just no time . She has since passed on from dementia , So i have a reptile again. I sure miss my Sav , but one reptiles plenty for me .

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
You'll need at least 24" of substrate in that cage. Monitors burrow and they make use of about that much substrate. I also wouldn't keep her in a glass cage as that is generally advised against with most lizards, but large ones in particular. Monitors, including savannahs, are pretty hard to care for. Visit Varanus.net to search for some more info on housing and accurate care sheets.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu