• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

taming my tegus

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
Most of the tegus/monitors I've seen that are tamed through negative tactics are more exhausted then tame. As Bobby said, they're super smart animals. If you mess with them in a way they don't like, they'll remember it for a long long time. Even more interesting, they can associate specific people to negative situation in the past. So, they may like your wife or girl friend for example, but hate you. This of course is my dilemma, since I occasionally have to move my monitor to transport him.

I know tegus are not monitors, but they're darn smart compared to other lizards.

bubbasherps

5 Year Member
taming

:-D Angel rose you make me ;) smile.. I have worked with many herps Gators , poisonous, and big monitors .. but the tegus are the best to work with :-D My biggest thing was my trust with them :-D My bitter apple trick worked and some tricks i learned over the years :-D using my snake hook to let them know that i was handling them and not feeding was a big one :-D I worked with a 7 foot croc monitor that was a handful got him tame by pettin him on the back first with a snake hook than with my hand after some time started picking him up :-D this one method i used :-D every day :-D

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
LOL!!! It's not wise to use the word tame about an animal that can reach ten feet. Not to mention that people have been hospitalized and near death from slashed tendons and arteries. You should be EXTREMELY CAREFUL!!!!! Croc monitors are just about the most dangerous animal you can own. Unlike other large monitors like black throats, who have crushing jaws, these guys have slicing jaws. And believe me, those teeth would cut through some thick welding gloves like a knife through butter. Go to the Proexotics.com website to find out just how cute a salvadorii bite is. It is the people who get too comfortable that become the victims of accidents. Even a "tame" croc monitor (and I hate using that word), could accidentally bite you out of confusion.

Aww look...he's as tame as a baby kitten:
croc_head_wound.jpg

croc_hand_wound.jpg

croc_mon_wound3.jpg

Furthermore, daily handling is really stressful for these monitors. They are all wild caught, and it takes them a long time to establish themselves in captivity. In the long run, you're just shortening their lives with a daily handling routine. I'm not saying they wont eat, sleep, bask etc. for you. Rather, this will effect them in the long term, and their lives will be dramatically reduced. If you want a monitor that you can handle, get an ackie. If you want a display animal and you have experience with large monitors already, get a croc. But these are not for someone who wants a "pet". They really should be limited to private collections of experienced keepers and it's a shame that their prices have dropped. It only opens the gateway to more disasters like the pictures I showed you.

-Chris

bubbasherps

5 Year Member
monitor

:-D the pics are nasty :) but I seen what he can do :) I really dont handle him daily overstated :-D Wouldnt call him dog tame They are wild animals :-D I handle him like i do Gators with respect and caution :-D didnt say i trust him use a animal grabber too. like i said 7 foot WC :) The only handling is moving to clean his cage :) true not to be messed with :-D thank you

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
I know, I saw those pics a while ago and they scared me straight. Just be careful my friend. Remember that the gloves you use to hold him are for the claws, and the claws alone. If he bites you, you are going to the hospital. There's no question.

But, since I'm having a lot of fun creeping everyone out, I'll post a few more to scare off newbies!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.reptileforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=264816">http://www.reptileforums.com/forums/sho ... p?p=264816</a><!-- m -->

Crocodile_monitor_skull_lateral2.jpg

bite.jpg

bite2.jpg

Hooray for bad ideas!
crocodile_monitor_sandy.jpg

-Chris

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Yes, that is some bad bites from monitors, I am glad tegus are not monitors.

Tegus IMO are much smarter than monitors, and they get much tamer. I kept monitors for years and never seen one that gets as tame as a tegu. My tegus free roam in my yard, they also come to me, I would not try that with any of the monitors.

Chris, try this with a monitor: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfSvW5kjghQ">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfSvW5kjghQ</a><!-- m -->

angelrose

5 Year Member
OMG :!: OUCH :!: now that's must hurt.

but I think they are beautiful and should be respected for what they are.

I would love to have one for it's beauty but taming would not be on my list of things to do.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hey, even though tegus are MUCH more sociable, they can still inflict some nice damage if they want to....I've felt what they can do...not fun.
Oh, and just to make things clear...I am NOT discouraging any inquiring or present tegu owners..I LOVE the tegus.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The worst I've gotten was when our female Blue mistaked my ear for food. She was sniffing back and forth between my two ears and decided she liked this one. That was after cleaning it once.
100_4601_.jpg

Our big Red could do far more damage. He was wicked cage aggressive when we got him. He was living in a dog crate when we rescued him. He lunged at my foot numerous times one day as I walked by. Wicked angry. He'd calm down once we got him out (but getting him out was fun!!) and permanently calmed once I built a full size enclosure for him. He's dog tame now.

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Ouch. Maybe I should post pics of my hand...I got whacked a few days ago.

jose2187

5 Year Member
my method of building trust with the tegu

i have some issues with the trust theory, well the hide i mean. people say not to take tegus out of the hide but, i have some issues with that, I don't need to take my tegu out of the hide he is very active. he does free roam alot, and he loves to crawl into the cushion on our chair he will sleep in it for hours he always goes to the same two hidding spots in the house , why? he feels safe so you have to disturb him to put him back in his cage. so it's betraying his trust everytime you take him out of any hidding spot and if you let your tegu free roam enough he will find spots he likes. my tegu spends about 3 hours out a day and he never fears me or gets a temper even while shedding , he is very consistant and thats because by now he knows i mean him no harm. I have a handling method i call it "the what goes up must come down method".
first if your tegu bites get a glove wear it inside out for a few days just to get your sent on the outside,next go in very slow no sudden movements and pick him up, he can't hurt you through the glove so be firm and pick him up, but don't man handle him.
hold him for just a few minutes then put him back in the enclosure, wait 10 to 15 minutes then repeat on and off for about 2 hours.
If you like to watch t.v take him out during comercials then put him back when the show comes on.
tegu's are smart and they learn by routines, thats why people don't feed them in the cage cuz they learn that, hey hand comes in food comes out. so in a few days of doing this , when you go to put the tegu back don't just put him in his cage ,open your hand and give him the choice to jump off or get down. you will notice he will not mind sitting in your hand. Then you can start taking him out longer and then you will realize that he doesn't mind coming out of the enclosure as much. It is becuase he realizes when you take him out he is always going back to the enclosure at the end.
so basically what gets picked up comes down in the enclosure at the end.

bubbasherps

5 Year Member
Daily routine

:-D I have a daily routine with my tegus :-D first take all them out place them in feeder bins already have food in there :-D they eat take them out let them free roam :-D they have real good time too :-D I do this every day but dont always give them alot of foods sometime snacks grapes etc. tegus like routine more than any other herp mine will come out every morning except during hibernation :) i never disturb them well they are in their shelter hide learned my leason from doing that had to work months building trust back with my tegu maya :-D but making your own routine with your tegus is great idea :-D
jeff

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I have never had to use gloves with any of the tegus I have raised, I let my tegus come to me, I do not push them into contact.

shiftylarry

5 Year Member
A long time ago, I tried to use gloves to hold my monitors, and quickly realized that the monitor related the gloves to being bothered. All I had to do to scare the monitor into his hide was pull out the gloves. I'm with bobby. Tegus are definitely smart enough to know the difference between gloves and a hand, just as they recognize that tongs or hemostats can mean food.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980