• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Taming the 'gu?

siphon

I'm aware this has been beaten to death with a stick. I've read almost two pages of topics here about taming your tegu, but I'd still like to run my situation across and get advice for my situation. Sorry for any redundancy.

My unsexed red tegu Slumdog has now been with me for almost three weeks. This is my first tegu, and it feels like such a new ballgame compared to the other animals I keep. Typically if I notice handling causes stress, I don't handle. But in this particular situation, I desperately want a tame tegu!

I let him settle in the first week, minimal handling. Last week I tried every other day handling, and this week I have just been talking to him and handfeeding him inside his tank without picking him up. Should I do every day handling? He freaks out when picked up, calms down when you sit down with him, but his motive is always to escape. And once he gets on the move and you have to catch him he does a lot of bluffing. He rarely gets far enough that I have to catch him, but when I do he does a lot of bluff biting. He readily accepts his favorite foods by hand, but ignores items that are less desirable until I put them in his bowl.

I have an article of clothing in his hide but he is very suspicious of me. He won't run when I open his enclosure, but he is startled by any movement I make, and once I try picking him up he freaks out. I take it very slowly, use two hands, and ensure he doesn't hurt himself.

Any tips? Will he become more calm with size?

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
It sounds like you're doing all the right things. Just be persistent and consistent. He will come around with more exposure and more time. Use your intuition to know when too much is too much. I think you're taking the right approach, just don't give up or get discouraged.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont