• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

taming

A_Tegu_Named_Kabu

this is my first tegu and I have only had him for less than a week. He doesnt eat much and Im guessing its because he's nervous about eating around me. Also when im holding him he whips his tail and tries to escape. Is it ok that i dont let him or should I just allow him to become comfortable with me.

LizardzRock

I would give your new gu some time to settle. It is just afraid of you and probably has not had time to acclimate. I would give it it's space for at least a week maybe 2. Don't force handle it either it will just grow to not like you. I would gain it's trust and friendship with food and an occasional treat. Hope this helps.

Dana C

It took a couple of months for Junior, (formerly known as EVA), to get used to and being picked up. When I did pick him up I took him to the bathroom where I had a shallow warm bath drawn for him. After the bath which calmed him down, I fed him also in the bathroom. He began to associate my picking him up with good things and began to trust me. He also learned that I was a source of warmth on a cold floor. After 6 weeks of doing this I was able to rub his cheeks which he loved. and the bond started. I knew we were making progress when he walked behind me while I was sitting on the floor against the tub. I layed my hand behind my back and I felt him lay his head in my hand and felt him relax.
However, I left him alone for a couple of weeks with the exception of being next to his enclosure and rest my hand on the substrate several times a day.
The moral of the story is to give it time. No matter what you hear, Tegu's are still wild creatures and it takes time to develop trust both ways.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu