• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

taming?

steve1

i ask this as a question cuz i want to do right by my little guy. i already have an adult female that is such a lap lizard i don't have to worry about taming on her. my little guy gets handled everyday by both me and my wife. i will sit on the sofa with him and let him think hes going somewhere passing him from hand to hand, i try not to restrain him cuz he doesn't like that and squirms worse when i do. if i give him the freedom to explore an area around me where i know i can reach out and grab him hes good with that. when he has exhausted himself or so it seems i guess hes exhausted himself he will lay in the crook of my arm up against my body and sprawl out his legs for awhile. then when he thinks noone is paying attention he will try to run off only to be caught and corrected, i even let him wiggle between the sofa cushions and start getting under the cushion a little before i grab him out again. i have learned that he will jump so i never hold him open handed anymore when walking around with him. the only time he seems to get a little aggressive and i mean a little like a small tail whip, not even what i would call a tail whip or unlike an iguana tail whip i should say, is when reaching for him in his hide box. its more like i startled him. after that its happy happy to be out and about.

are we doing ok like this or will it leed to bad habit's? hes very small right now all of 16 inches STL
let me know what you all think

HeatherN

the only thing id correct is disturbing him in his hide. thats his place of safety, meaning he's not up for hanging out atm. its a way to lose trust, and with any animal, trust is first and foremost. :)

Dana C

It sounds like you are doing great. I wouldn't change anything. He is young and his behavior patterns will change over time. If anything he, like your adult female will become more mellow.

RX-man

Just a question but how do you get your tegu out without going into their hide? If they don't want to get out won't they just run to their hide and know that u won't get them and if you never get them how do you tame them? Just a conundrum thought up by a noob. I could be way off as I have never had a tegu but hope to get one next year.

HeatherN

it is quite a conundrum, some take the hide out before he can run to it, others block it. some get lucky and don't have an issue at all.
it can seem traumatic, but sometimes you have to corner em to pick them up. just remember, no grabbing, loose hands from underneath.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont