• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu Attitude!

tegutiff

Okay, i've had my tegu, Reptar, for about a month or so, when i first got him, he was the sweetest little guy, little shy, but sweet. I spend at lease an hour or 2 with him every day, but for the past few days, every time i even go into his cage, to even water him or anything, he hikes himself up and starts hissing, he's even lunged at my hand a few times. I don't know what his problem is lately, it's really upsetting me. Im to the point I'm starting to get scared to even pick him up, thinking he is going to latch onto me. What should i do? :(:(:(

Aardbark

5 Year Member
Mine was like that too, when I first got her she didnt fight or anything. She was extremely docile. But after a little bit she became more defensive. I kept spending time with her, even if she didnt like it, and eventually she warmed up to me. It took a while though.

Keep spending time with him when you can. Spent time around the cage, and do things inside the cage like watering and cleaning. Get him used to the idea that your not a threat to him. When it looks like it is safe to interact with him, try petting or picking him up. If he lunging and biting wear gloves, but try not to pull away from him. If you teach him that biting you is not going to accomplish anything, he will stop trying. Another thing that can work is taking him somewhere like a bathtub, and just sitting in the tub with him, and not bother him. Let him explore and inspect you.

sphenodon

Could he be shedding/going into shedding? My blue tongue skink gets super grumpy when he's about to start shedding. Mostly hides when this happens. I used to get worried that my taming was out the window when this would happen but then he'd shed and he'd go back to what he was before. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont