• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu ban??

Waters

It is a good idea but at this point I am not sure it is going to accomplish much since Tegus are abundant there already....unless they have a plan to start removing them from the wild they are just going to keep breeding and multiplying.

Waters

Probably won't affect them at all.....people that already have them aren't going to voluntarily give them up. People that want them will find a way to get them.

Guman

I was under the understanding that Florida let you keep invasive reptiles like pythons if you were responsible and had them chiped by the FWC. We need more accountable people in our hobby. Don't stop my freedom of ownership and I can follow fare rules.

Rebecca Baker

Actually the law will effect those of us that haven't owned ours before 2010, even with conditional permits. We may not want to give ours up but legally we will have to, to be euthanized. I know I plan on applying for a class 3 permit and if I do so how do I not give my tegu up of the law is passed, without taking a chance on losing my permit or possibility of getting it. Honestly the guy that is proposing this bill has no legislation over wildlife so I highly doubt it will pass BUT this can put weight on FWC to do something similar. The answer isn't to remove peoples pets but to maintain the invasive population. Majority of the breeding populations didn't come from a few irresponsible pet owners. It came from massive hurricanes wiping out breeding facilities. Oh and this bill will also prevent anyone from catching a shipping these guys out of the state. Not sure how that helps. It is also very vague and any species can be added at any given time.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Actually, the Florida City population was derived from an intentional release of stock by a pet dealer in trouble with the law.

nightanole

Up here we got invaded by japanese beetles. Then one day the sparrows woke up and realized they are food. Boom no more beetle problem.

So someone needs to teach the 3ft tegus than baby iguanas are yummy, and to tell all their friends. Then maybe we will achieve homeostasis again. PS tegus, python eggs are yummy and dont fight back

bocacash

5 Year Member
Right ON, nightanole ! Nature WILL achieve balance...not instantly like humans want...but over time. The Earth's Flora/Fauna landscape is CONSTANTLY changing and evolving. Humans, on the other hand, are VERY short-sighted and single-solution minded...that's why we screw up MOST of our regulation legislative efforts ! We are NOTORIOUSLY inept in keeping 'balance'...because we , actually, want everything to stay the same ! IMPOSSIBLE !!! :)

FeistyGypsy

I have lived in Florida for 13 years and I am well aware of how terrible the native wildlife are impacted by invasive species. The problem here is that we cannot undo what has already been done. This potential ban seems a little pointless, since tegus have already established wild populations in the state. It’s very reactive, verses proactive. I am all for strict permitting, high fines for violations, and inspections. Something absolutely needs to be done to safe guard the local ecosystem.

But I think that we do need to consider the impact that this is going to cause for the tegu community. Many people, who aren’t in Florida, are either saying “good” or “it won’t impact me,” when it very easily could in many different ways.

A large portion of the US tegu breeders in the reptile community live and operate in Florida. What happens to tegu availability and pricing if a large portion of the National tegu breeders are forced to close up shop or take a hiatus to move their operation to another state? I currently live in Pennsylvania. I have a number of tegus, and they all came from breeders in Florida. If Florida bans tegus, that will likely impact the availability of tegus. The breeders in other states can and will increase their prices on animals, especially once demand drastically surpasses the supply available.

Something else to consider: what makes anyone secure to think that if they ban tegus in one state, other states won’t follow? Once a state sets the bar, plenty of other states or municipalities may look at it as a template for something they can adopt as well. I can see many places, especially states that are not exotic animal friendly or who have a warm climate follow Florida.

My other question is what about the many people who catch wild tegus and then rehabilitate then? Many people trap, rehab, and rehome these animals. There is a huge number of tegu trappers in Florida. Once that ban is put into place, those many people taking out thousands of invasive tegus out of the Florida wilds are going to stop. Which means the wild population will explode, since these trappers are the main way the state is combating tegus at the moment and it is costing the state of Florida $0 for them to provide this service.

I understand both sides, being a Floridian. I absolutely believe that invasive species need to be removed and dealt with. But I also believe that blanket bans are dangerous and a very slippery slope. As a community we should be all concerned, as it might be our your state or your city next who decideds to ban an animal you are keeping, after a few people on your city council sees reads a slanted news article about tegus and a Florida ban. It has happened many, many times with other reptile species. To think it can’t and won’t happen in your city/state with tegus is pretty naive.

Last edited:

Guman

Right ON, nightanole ! Nature WILL achieve balance...not instantly like humans want...but over time. The Earth's Flora/Fauna landscape is CONSTANTLY changing and evolving. Humans, on the other hand, are VERY short-sighted and single-solution minded...that's why we screw up MOST of our regulation legislative efforts ! We are NOTORIOUSLY inept in keeping 'balance'...because we , actually, want everything to stay the same ! IMPOSSIBLE !!! :)

However, I do not want to see the Americal alligator wiped out while the Florida everglades finds a new homeostasis and tegus love to eat their eggs. It is an interesting conversation on ownership and responsibility that I have been having all day. I do not know how many of you follow social media on YouTube and have seen the decision of Europe banning spider ball pythons. We need to fight against the American government and States banning anything without meeting with responsible owners.

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I don't really know too much about this living the opposite side the world.......

But really Do we have the authority to decide what happens????:D:D

1) We've tried this action (banning and killing) many times with no luck in the past except for 1000 of unfortunate animals being slaughtered.

2) The whole reason the animal is invasive is our fault, so said animal has to suffer due to the recklessness of this animal.

AND NOW FOR THE BIG ONE.

3) This animal (HUMANS) are the biggest and most destructive INVASIVE SPECIES in world destroying all areas and wiping out everything in our paths.

So we believe its our duty...fuckoff

The world has looked after its self far better and far longer than us maybe get our own destruction and species under control before we look at controlling others.;);)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annettekirtont