• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu chasing her tail???

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Has anyone ever seen a Tegu chase its tail???

We had all of our Tegu's outside this afternoon, including the female that laid eggs last week. She's been a little beetchy, but not bad. All of the sudden she starts chasing her tail!!! She did it 3 times. I caught a few seconds on video. Than she went after our 9 year old son's feet!! A few times! She really got pissed off!

Here's the video of the tail chasing.

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n303/PinewoodDaddy/Eragon/?action=view&current=ChaseTail-1.flv

Here's the "chase and attack".

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/...agon/?action=view&current=ChaseTailattack.flv

I may upload it to YouTube tonight, they block it at work.

mschuld

5 Year Member
That's really interesting. I would really like to see that video. I wonder if they make midol for reptiles!

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
leoares27 said:
maybe she's hungry? Maybe she got confused and thought her tail was a yummy morsel of food lol...
I offered her a small rat a few times but she kept walking over it.

She's been moody since she laid, which is normal.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Can you describe her moodiness? I am just curious for when I eventually try and breed mine. I hear the females get pretty wicked.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
PuffDragon said:
Can you describe her moodiness? I am just curious for when I eventually try and breed mine. I hear the females get pretty wicked.
Bobby said they can get very cage aggressive after laying, lasting until after hibernation. That that will vary from Tegu to Tegu, and even year to year.

Ours has never been friendly but not aggressive. Now she's very moody, many times charging when I open her enclosure. I just wait and talk to her before doing what I have to do. I guess she's fairly mellow for a Tegu that just laid!

devine*

5 Year Member
those are such cute videos! I love all the tegus running around in the second... not sure about her behaviour tho. she seems a little scattered I guess.

very cute tho, thanks for posting those

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I needed a good laugh :rofl

Very entertaining videos. That girl is definitely on the warpath.

MMRR - jif

5 Year Member
I've witnessed that behavior before in green iguana, almost always a male. We never have figured out what triggers the behavior. Very curious. Thanks for sharing.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I don't think the tail chasing really represents anything. Being that she's in a state of alertness and aggression she probably just thought it was "something" worth chasing and maybe eating.

Why does a dog chase it's tail? Most of the time people just laugh at the event.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
PuffDragon said:
I don't think the tail chasing really represents anything. Being that she's in a state of alertness and aggression she probably just thought it was "something" worth chasing and maybe eating.

Why does a dog chase it's tail? Most of the time people just laugh at the event.
Oh we laughed!!!! She was definitely PO'd!!!!

ashesc212

5 Year Member
I just caught this video! Is Eragon 1/2 puppy heehee? So all your tegus can hang out together outside and not fight at all? Did you have to slowly introduce them to one another?

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
We keep them separated during breeding season otherwise all the males want to do is "hump" every Tegu in sight. The female Blue has never liked the male Blue, she bullies him. But he had a short window of opportunity to mate with her when her hormones kicked in.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu