• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegu Rear "thumb" nail

Gx3

5 Year Member
Hey I just noticed today that my red has lost one of his nails. It is the "thumb"ish one on his hind legs. His humidity is kept high and temps are closely monitored. He is fed cod liver oil and a varied diet and he has never had shedding problems. I also noticed that the same nail on the other hind leg is looking like it is going to fall off. I was wondering what is causing this? He hasn't had any problems and is growing insanely fast! I was looking at pictures of other tegus and it seems a lot of them are missing this nail as well.

mr.king

5 Year Member
shedding problems my red is missing 3 toes juss give him some more vitamin c some and plenty of UV.

ashesc212

5 Year Member
Gx3 said:
Hey I just noticed today that my red has lost one of his nails. It is the "thumb"ish one on his hind legs. His humidity is kept high and temps are closely monitored. He is fed cod liver oil and a varied diet and he has never had shedding problems. I also noticed that the same nail on the other hind leg is looking like it is going to fall off. I was wondering what is causing this? He hasn't had any problems and is growing insanely fast! I was looking at pictures of other tegus and it seems a lot of them are missing this nail as well.

Did you check to see if there is any retained shed on that toe that is starting to look like the one with the nail that fell off? If there is put him in a warm bath and gently work the retained shed off. I do this for my beardie and I tried it on my tegu and it worked...he was very patient with me.

Gx3

5 Year Member
ashesc212 said:
Gx3 said:

Did you check to see if there is any retained shed on that toe that is starting to look like the one with the nail that fell off? If there is put him in a warm bath and gently work the retained shed off. I do this for my beardie and I tried it on my tegu and it worked...he was very patient with me.

Yea there is nothing on the toe. The nail is just really loose and it looks as if he might have snagged it on something and it broke it. I give him warm baths everyday when he is going through a shed.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu