• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tegus won't lie on their back?

Spike the tegu

Is it just mine or are tegus afraid to lie on there back mine will tail whip an spas significantly he's extremely tame black and white argentine tegu. Can I tame him to lie on his back?

Mootworm

Why do you want him to lie on his back? That's a very vulnerable position for any animal. Very stressful and likely to cause your gu to be distrustful of you If you force it.

Mootworm

How long have you had him? He might not be comfortable with you? I dunno, I wouldn't force my tegu to do anything she didn't want to (within reason lol!). He can 'lay back' with you on his chest. Mine likes to snuggle up against my neck when we're chillin. That, or wiggle into the couch haha.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I would be very cautious about this. As it's said above, it could cause him to not trust you at all. You have to work into it with baby steps. Get him used to handling, being around people, sitting still. Then once he's MASTERED those things, try holding him straight up. Once he's mastered that then you might be able to start inverting him.
Going straight to the end result is going to lead to an angry lizard :( No one wants that!

Deac77

5 Year Member
Ok, tegus, well most lizards actually, are not made to lie on their backs. The way the organs are positioned in the body it's incredibly dangerous for them to be on their backs.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu