• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Terrarium for Red Tegu

Noobske

5 Year Member
Hey everyone,

At first my idea was to first keep Chinese Waterdragons and then look around for a Tegu, but I might not get a steady contract (yet) so I'll probably have to rent a house first instead of buying like the initial plan. This being the case, I think it would be better to go for a Tegu first since a tank for a Tegu can be taken apart and rebuilt far more easier then for Waterdragons seeing as I will eventually move.

So, last night I made something in Google Sketch-up and I want to know your opinions:

[attachment=4327]

Would this tank be sufficient for 1 Red Tegu?

Attachments

• tegu_tank.jpg
    tegu_tank.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 168

AP27

Took me a minute to convert all the measurements, but since it comes out to about 8x4x4 ft then that would be just fine.

Noobske

5 Year Member
tommyboy said:
Is the bottom portion just a base?

The bottom is supposed to be 40 cm (1 ft?) of substrate, and since looking at 1 ft of dirt tends to be boring I thought it would be better/nicer if i put wood in front of that.

tommyboy

^^ that's perfect. Couldn't tell by the picture. It looks like the floor starts where the glass would be. It works great for overall looks and it helps keep the substrate in the cage and not all over the floor.

Noobske

5 Year Member
Thanks :) I'm going to edit the tank though, need a place for the Tegu to sleep in but don't know how big to make it yet.

Noobske

5 Year Member
One question btw, can I put a youngster in this 'cage' from the beginning or do I need a smaller tank for when he/she is still young?

tommyboy

Opinions vary on this subject. Some say that putting a baby in such a large enclosure will stress them out. While others will tell you it is perfectly fine. I have used large enclosures for babies many times with no issues whatsoever. Think about baby tegus in the wild....how big is their enclosure??? Much bigger than 8x4x4!! Lol. You can always monitor him/her for the first few weeks in the large enclosure and see how they like it.

Noobske

5 Year Member
tommyboy said:
Opinions vary on this subject. Some say that putting a baby in such a large enclosure will stress them out. While others will tell you it is perfectly fine. I have used large enclosures for babies many times with no issues whatsoever. Think about baby tegus in the wild....how big is their enclosure??? Much bigger than 8x4x4!! Lol. You can always monitor him/her for the first few weeks in the large enclosure and see how they like it.

That's exactly was I was thinking, thanks for confirming my thoughts. When I eventually get a Tegu I'll first try this cage:

tegu_tank_update1.jpg

If it doesn't work out I'll be sure to have a second (smaller) tank available just in case.

510herper

well you may not necessarily have to have a whole second tank but rather something to just divide the tank into a smaller portion. like placing a piece of wood to make it smaller if you get what i mean.

Noobske

5 Year Member
Finally started building a cage for my future Tegu, it's not finished yet but here are some pictures:

The new cage upside down:
200954_481400758558663_1983996408_o.jpg

Cage with midsection for a separate place to sleep in:
176304_481848731847199_2028930665_o.jpg

The cage is 8.2 feet long, 4.1 feet high and 4.1 feet deep.

Noobske

5 Year Member
It's not screwed in yet so I can still change some stuff. Why would you recommend a removable hidebox? To make it easier for when it's time for them to hibernate?

TegusRawsome80

5 Year Member
Hibernation, cleaning if it poops in there, removal if you're worried about medical issues or for any other reason, etc.

Oh wait, just saw the door. I get it now. That should work just fine.

Noobske

5 Year Member
Well, I'm planning on making a door in front of the hidebox with a lock on it, the 'regular' space will have a glass sliding door. I think that will be enough or do you still think I should go for a removable hidebox?

Alright, thanks! Will update when I can :)

anelk002

5 Year Member
As far as being too big I agree also the wild is a lot bigger than 8x4 lol only thing though is even in my 6x3 cage its sometimes a pain to get the little guy out lol

Noobske

5 Year Member
karljr2k4 said:
so can i see the finished product? i love this cage idea and am thinking about borrowing it!

Well, it's still not done yet due to various reasons but here's a picture of it almost being finished;

530758_486808531351219_106700104_n.jpg

Noobske

5 Year Member
I finally have my Tegu, I bought a blue tegu instead of a red one because of my working hours. He's in a smaller tank for now and when I move (2 months) he'll go to the tank above.

Here's a picture of little Yoshi ;

uploadfromtaptalk1375183666682.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu