• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Tupinambis rufescens together Tupinambis teguixin advice

droopster

I now have a Tupinambis rufescens and he is housed well for now in a 200*80*80
now i have a change to take over a Tupinambis teguixin where the owner have no more place for.
Is it possible to house them together? there both pretty tame. they can walk around every day a few houres in my livingroom or outside when its hot. there both at an age of 2years so not fully grown.

if someone can give some advice asap would be nice. otherwise the tegu wil go to a petstore and then...

thanks

jtrux

5 Year Member
Monitor there behavior together and see how it goes. If you see signs of aggression, then I'd advise against it.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
No. You cannot house them together - do not monitor anything. Separate them immediately and obtain another enclosure for the teguixin or rehome one of them. They are two different species and should not be confined to one enclosure. I disagree with @jtrux , housing them together will lead to serious problems.

Last edited:

jtrux

5 Year Member
Oh geez, here we go. I agree that if aggressive or dominant behavior exists, then they must be separated but if they coexist peacefully, then there is no need to provide separate enclosures. Now of course, if you're going to house them together then certain husbandry requirements should be met: multiple hides, separate food dishes, etc. So with that being said, I disagree with TeguBuss's absolutist attitude that every animal needs a separate enclosure. Many people do it with great results so long as it's not done blindly.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Oh geez, here we go. I agree that if aggressive or dominant behavior exists, then they must be separated but if they coexist peacefully, then there is no need to provide separate enclosures. Now of course, if you're going to house them together then certain husbandry requirements should be met: multiple hides, separate food dishes, etc. So with that being said, I disagree with TeguBuss's absolutist attitude that every animal needs a separate enclosure. Many people do it with great results so long as it's not done blindly.
If they were two tegus of the same species then it would make a whole lot more sense.

What you're not seeing is that one is a Colombian, and the other is an Argentine. The two species CANNOT coexist and should not be housed together. T. merianae and rufescens have been housed successfully in many cases, but it is strongly suggested to stray away from housing the much smaller species - teguixin separate from merianae/rufescens.

TeguBuzz

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Also, it is not an "absolutist" attitude, it is plain common knowledge. Housing teguixin with rufescens or merianae should never happen. They do not interbreed/intermingle. @jtrux , you shouldn't feel offended by my comment, those weren't my intentions - I am just simply stating a known fact.

We can even start the discussion of quarantine on this matter - something the OP did not mention, but I'll stay out of that.

To the OP - I humbly ask you to refrain from housing the two different species together.

jtrux

5 Year Member
No offense taken, you were merely stating your opinion and I was stating mine.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
There is usually a huge size difference between a colombian and a red tegu. They are solitary animals some will tolerate having other animals around while others will not. They can live together for years and be fine same species or not but it only takes one dispute to change that. You can come home to two injured animals, if not one dead or missing completely. If anything happened the colombian wouldn't have much of a chance at defending itself against something at least twice its size and weight. So why risk that, they're omnivorous, google it and you'll find pics and videos of them catching and eating just about anything from fish to other lizards, not all small ones either.

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Because their home ranges are different, the temperature gradients would normally be different. The teguixin individuals live closer to the equator and would be kept in a close, warm temp range without a cool season and 12hr light cycle. The rufescens live farther south typically and have varying temp ranges and light cycles according to the seasons. Plus with the size differences as Bubblz pointed out, that little tegu might become a tasty meal or feel intimidated from finding preferred basking spots, etc.

droopster

i decided to not put them together. thanks for the advice. My most important decision to not to do this was the hibernation. my red wil do but the other one not.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu