• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

UV...........how much is NOT enough???

jmiles50

5 Year Member
So I'm wondering about UV exposure. The reason I ask is because I've been doing my best to tame Asami. One concern I have is not getting enough UV exposure. Her lights go on at about 6am, and she basks until I get up anywhere from 11-1pm or so. When I get up I take her out and she spends the day free roaming with me and my pups Diamo and Chester. I generally put her back in her enclosure to bask at about 5pm or so, and she'll generally hide at about 6pm. We do go outside at least every other day for 45min to an hour for direct exposure. Am I allowing her to have enough UV exposure :?: I want her tame as can be, but I obviouly want her healthy :)

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
What bulb are you using for UVB and how far is she from it? How old is your Tegu?

Florescent tubes are normally good for 12"-14" (ReptiSun 10.0), mercury vapor bulbs are good for 2 feet (but don't get closer than 12") and provide some heat, depending on how far she is from it.

mr.king

5 Year Member
I use one of those florescent tube lights that run the length of my 20 long and i have it on for about 10-12 hours depending on my work schedule.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
mr.king said:
I use one of those florescent tube lights that run the length of my 20 long and i have it on for about 10-12 hours depending on my work schedule.
That is good. Is it a ReptiSun 10?

jmiles50

5 Year Member
Well, I know my set up and equipment are right. My question is having to do with "amount" of exposure. I just wanna make sure she's getting enough time under her bulbs

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
In the wild most reptiles only bask during the morning and late afternoon to avoid the mid day sun, but the level of UVB is much higher. If you've got the right equipment at the right distance just let your Tegu decide what she wants. Ideally you'll want separate UVB & basking sites so she can warm up without UVB if she wants. That's the one disadvantage of a Mercury Vapor bulb, they must get the UVB when they're warming.

mr.king

5 Year Member
DaveDragon said:
mr.king said:
That is good. Is it a ReptiSun 10?

Yes it is actually I find it to be a pretty good set up. I also have a mixture of coconut dirt and Cyprus about 4-6in deep works out great I think he's pretty happy [/img]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu