• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

uvb during hibernation

kaa

5 Year Member
Do tegus require uvb while they are hibernating, or can you turn it off? I have a ceramic heater on them, but the light is off cuz they aren't out. should the light come back on or leave it off? I'm new to the hibernation thing.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
No light is required. You probably don't need the heat emitter as well. What are the temps in the enclosure with it on?

Meg90

5 Year Member
I would think so----the whole point of brumation, is that they go dormant. A cooler temp helps this. That way, their bodies are not functioning as they are when they are awake and warm. That's how it is with tortoises. You cool them so they don't lose weight while hibernating. But I don't know if the same applies to tegus----have you checked the front page of the forums to see if it has directions on how to hibernate?

HorseCaak

5 Year Member
Meg90 said:
You cool them so they don't lose weight while hibernating.

Well it is a fact that tissue metabolism slows when temperature decreases. This is why they have cooler temps in surgery units or why they will make the body hypothermic during certain procedures. Lower temp equals decreased oxygen demands and means for less metabolic needs hence, less use of energy from fat stores... Of course, this is just going from my medical profession and not my animal experience. ;-) however, we are all animals...right?

-Cheers

ludo b

5 Year Member
Below 20Ã?â??Ã?°C day and 15Ã?â??Ã?°c night it's a brumation, and some ligth, with uvB can be on for somes hours per day.
Below 12Ã?â??Ã?°c it's a true hibernation, with no need of ligth at all.

Bentley83

5 Year Member
all my tegus are down to some degree. I do have the lights on but they go on at 8am and shut off at 6pm.

Chris

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus