• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Vet trip for Odin. Help or advice on impaction?

AP27

Odin has had some potty problems on and off for awhile now. In the past two weeks he has only pooped once, and nowhere near enough to amount to the three days worth of food he had in him. He is 14 months old, 37in and approx 5lbs before impaction issues. His basking spot is 102-104, air temp 80-86, humidity has been a little low over the past couple weeks since his repti fogger broke, but he's had issues even with 70% humidity. Currently only around 40% without the fogger. But he does get daily soaks in the tub for a good 30-40min. I'm currently feeding him about 2oz of ground turkey and smelt mixed with cod liver oil, repti vitamins and calcium, every other day. Though I haven't fed him in the past 4 days other then some small meals of fruit for fear of worsening his condition. I've tried mineral oil, warm baths, walks out in the sunlight, nothing seems to get him going. I think he's been eating the repti bark he's kept on. He last pooped a week ago, hasn't even been much pee since then. I've got an appointment for tomorrow morning with the vet, but if anyone else has advice on anything else I could try at home please share. Sorry for the long post, just concerned for my little guy.

Also, I'm not sure what substrate to switch him to. I dont have access to cypress mulch and I don't know if he would eat dirt as well, and I don't want to get something too dirty right now since in two weeks his enclosure is getting sent off to DC in preparation for our upcoming move. Anyone have any suggestions for a good temporary substrate?

AP27

The thought occurred to me. Not sure if that's something that can be done at home but perhaps the vet can try tomorrow?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
it can be done at home. if you don't feel comfortable, I wouldn't recommend it though.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu