• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Weird diseases

ierowe

5 Year Member
I was talking to a friend today(she is a nurse) about getting a Tegu. She said that people have been known to get strange illnesses from reptiles. I know about salmonella but nothing else. I there a real concern? I have a 7 yr old daughter and was just curious for her sake.

Thanks

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Your friend should know with proper hand washing and aseptic techniques that there is little to no risk of contracting a strange illness from captive cared/raised reptiles. Use common sense when handling and cleaning enclosures and their occupants. Don't lick toads or any other reptile for that matter.

I there a real concern?

In my opinion, no. Wash your hands.

argus333

5 Year Member
sounds like bs to me... ive lived with reptiles for over 22 yrs and have seen anything not even salmonella. a lot of people hate reptiles and make up lies like this.

leoares27

5 Year Member
I have to agree...unless u have some weird wild caught animal that happens to have some weird ass disease (which would be a 1 in a million chance) the chance of catching something from said animal is pretty slim.

unless you are holding its poo, then licking ur hand afterwards...yuck...lol ..u should be all set.
just make sure u wash u hands is all!

ierowe

5 Year Member
No poo lickin? Dang now what am I supposed to do all day? LOL I did not really think there was any major concern but I had to ask you guys. The truth is out there and ya'll speak the truth.....don't ya? kiddin.

Thanks for the feedback

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The same is true with dogs and cats, it is even true, or should I say more true in humans. They carry more then all of the others combined.

argus333

5 Year Member
i would think dog bites and cat attacks are far more to worry about, its also a fact that there are far more attacks and deaths for dogs than any reptiles. but yet in nj u cannot but turtles because of salmonella .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu