• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

what kind of chicken?

devine*

5 Year Member
Hey everyone, I've been trying to provide quite a range of food. Today I was in the grocery store in the meat department picking up bits of things here and there, then I stopped a the chicken section.

I see chicken is on the list of foods to occasionaly feed a tegu, but what kind would be best? There's so many varietys! Chicken wings, thighs, breasts, drumsticks...etc. I didn't see any minced chicken, so thought I would ask about it here before I think about letting my guys try it!

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I feed boneless myself. The chicken bones tend to be too big IMO. I feed bones only when feeding whole prey. Any raw chicken meat will be fine. Just cut it into portion size. The gizzards like Dave said are loaded with good stuff so feed that as well.

While your their you can also grab eggs, beef liver, lean ground turkey/beef, and fresh fish fillets.

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
PuffDragon said:
I feed boneless myself. The chicken bones tend to be too big IMO. I feed bones only when feeding whole prey. Any raw chicken meat will be fine. Just cut it into portion size. The gizzards like Dave said are loaded with good stuff so feed that as well.

While your their you can also grab eggs, beef liver, lean ground turkey/beef, and fresh fish fillets.
Our Tegu's eat better than us!!!!!

devine*

5 Year Member
I know hey! My animals have food charts on the wall, I write down lists of things they can eat and put any comments down beside such as "prawns - bones loves, teju doesn't like" lol

thanks for the chicken tips!

DaveDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hmm... Likes & dislikes, I haven't gone that far, yet. They normally all get the same food. If they're hungry, they'll eat.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Hey, you did see this list right?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1353">http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1353</a><!-- m -->

We should make an interactive thread where everyone can place a check mark next to each item whether or not their tegu's like them. haha

olympus

5 Year Member
I think that is a good idea... Maybe some tegus won't like some things we try to give them but will love the stuff that other people try to give their tegu...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu