• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

When Will She Eat?

Little Wise Owl

5 Year Member
I got my 1yr old Red from a fellow TeguTalk/TheTegu member (Nessie) on April 9th. On the 10th, she ate a little bit of calcium dusted turkey/papaya/collards.

Since then, she hasn't eaten anything. A couple days ago she slurped up a little egg yolk (as seen in my other recent thread) but that's about it.

She won't take anything from tongs, she spends 80% of the time hiding on the cool side. Her basking spot is 101-106F, warm side mid 80s and cool side in the 70s. The UV (Repti Glo tube 10.0) is like 9-10" from the basking area. She'll occasionally bask for at least an hour everyday around 10am to 12pm. Then she's gone for the rest of the day.

I've tried turkey (which was only eaten once), pinkies, superworms, whole ground chicken (bone + organs + small amount veggies), papaya, strawberries, quail eggs... I'm going to try crickets and other feeder worms but with the way she's been, I think they'll end up being Bearded Dragon food.

I was thinking of cutting up some adult mice and offering her that. She also will not touch any cod liver oil either.

Thoughts?

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I would contact the person you got it from and see how/what/when they fed.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
What are you using to measure temps and humidity? Did she hibernate this year, and if so was she completely up when you got her?

Little Wise Owl

5 Year Member
I'm using both a digital thermometer and a temperature gun. She hibernated last year and was eating for the last owner before she came to me.

Little Wise Owl

5 Year Member
I tried quail eggs, turkey (w/ calcium), and strawberries just to see if she'd eat ANY of it. Nope. lol

I bagged it and put it in the fridge. I guess I'll try again tomorrow.

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Maybe try leaving her alone for a week, only go into the enclosure to spot clean and change water if needed. A week without food won't hurt. Maybe she is just stressed from the move and needs to settle in.

Little Wise Owl

5 Year Member
I've been leaving her alone for most of the time. Usually when I get home, she's already hiding so I don't bug her.

I've been offering food sparingly anyway (2-3 days) just because I'm not expecting her to eat and I don't like wasting food.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu