• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Wierdest feeders?

nhood97

Just curiosity, what is the weirdest thing you have fed your tegu? Or want to...? Any bugs considered "exotic"? Also where did you get it, how much was it, and what did your guide think of it? And my baby colombian just decided to tromp all over my brand new smartphone... so glad ive got screen protectors and a scratch resistant coating... they get annoying but you have to adore them:) Anyways, I personally would like to get some horn worms, silkworms, earthworms, stick or leaf bugs (if I raised them myself because their normal diet is toxic to reptiles, if I feed them non toxic artificial diet from birth it solves the problem),snails (originally for human consumption due to risk of parasites), tadpoles (gave my Colombian some yesterday, he loved them), frogs, praying mantis (haven't decided on this one) and well, just about everything else considered tegu safe and edible. I currently regularly give my little guy crickets, roaches, superworms, fish ( once a week), rat pinkies ( every other week), waxworm treats and eggs whenever I need him to eat his veggies ( I cook them into it). He also gets chicken ( baked no spices), shrimp, and I'm hatching triops for him. And which online feeder stores have been good to everyone else on here? Input appreciated.:)

Oops, not guide, tegu. Sorry. Stupid spell check.

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
Give the chicken raw with calcium supplement. The most exotic thing I gave Gwangi was a compressed disc of turkey breast from a cheese and cracker party tray on new years eve. I know it was not really good for him, but hey, it fell on the floor.

tresh

I tried feeding my tegus fresh fish yesturday. Fresh, straight from a grocery store where they prepare the fish right in front of you. It was a cool thing to watch, watching them prepare the fish. Anyways.

Out of three tegus, NONE of them would touch the fish. These are my lizards that hide food and eat rotten things when they can find them...and good fleshy fish with squishy guts and everything? NOPE.

Other than that, one of my tegus has discovered trash bags recently, and trying to retrieve a few days old pizza crust from the mouth of a tegu who has decided that this is food was not fun, not fun at all. Tegus are too damned smart sometimes.

Roadkill

5 Year Member
Used to work at a biological museum, people turned in all kinds of dead animals as specimen vouchers. Birds were predominantly converted to study skins (stuffed birds), so we figured as long as we knew that what killed the animal wasn't a toxic substance, why not put the flesh to use feeding my living zoo as opposed to sending it out for incineration? Someone turned in a bald eagle once that appeared to have been electrocuted, so I took the flesh home for the critters. They really seemed to relish that one.

Cassie

Roadkill said:
Used to work at a biological museum, people turned in all kinds of dead animals as specimen vouchers. Birds were predominantly converted to study skins (stuffed birds), so we figured as long as we knew that what killed the animal wasn't a toxic substance, why not put the flesh to use feeding my living zoo as opposed to sending it out for incineration? Someone turned in a bald eagle once that appeared to have been electrocuted, so I took the flesh home for the critters. They really seemed to relish that one.

You do know that possessing native birds, especially bald eagles, or any part of them, without a permit, is illegal in the United States (and Canada last I checked), right?
Specific provisions in the statute include a Federal prohibition to "pursue, hunt, take, capture, kill, attempt to take, capture or kill, possess, offer for sale, sell, offer to purchase, purchase, deliver for shipment, ship, cause to be shipped, deliver for transportation, transport, cause to be transported, carry, or cause to be carried by any means whatever, receive for shipment, transportation or carriage, or export, at any time, or in any manner, any migratory bird, included in the terms of this Convention . . . for the protection of migratory birds . . . or any part, nest, or egg of any such bird."
Obviously, I have no idea where you're from, but since bald eagles are only native to North America I can assume.
People can bring birds to museums and such under specific guidelines, but workers themselves, unless they have permits, are not covered.
Someone working for a Zoological Museum covered this herself as well.

Roadkill

5 Year Member
Yes, Cassie, I am very aware of this fact. What you may not be aware of is that there are often provisions for museums/universities/etc. that allow people to deal with the remains. Think about it: the museum stuffs an endangered bird and then, if going by the strictest letter of the law, now has flesh that cannot be sent to an incinerator or otherwise disposed of because the waste handlers do not have the permits to possess such. The laws are set up to prevent trafficking, but there are often broad reaching permits that most people would never believe. In Canada it is illegal under most circumstances to import chelonians, or any part there of. Much like the paragraph you quoted above. I once had in my possession a permit that, although issued under scientific license, stipulated that I could import any chelonion or part there of, for purpose of scientific experimentation, keeping as a pet, resale, or consumption. Basically, if Equador would have agreed to it, I could have brought Lonesome George home to turn into soup and no one could legally interfere. Not that I would have, mind you.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Re: RE: Wierdest feeders?

rhetoricx said:
You could feed it anoles

I wouldn't want to see that if they were live... :( poor little things.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

...as far as illegal stuff... :/ i know someone who rehabbed bats and a spotted turtle once. Without a license. *ahem* just saying... a dead eagle's guts...i don't think anyone was missing it.

Cassie

Roadkill said:
Yes, Cassie, I am very aware of this fact. What you may not be aware of is that there are often provisions for museums/universities/etc. that allow people to deal with the remains. Think about it: the museum stuffs an endangered bird and then, if going by the strictest letter of the law, now has flesh that cannot be sent to an incinerator or otherwise disposed of because the waste handlers do not have the permits to possess such. The laws are set up to prevent trafficking, but there are often broad reaching permits that most people would never believe. In Canada it is illegal under most circumstances to import chelonians, or any part there of. Much like the paragraph you quoted above. I once had in my possession a permit that, although issued under scientific license, stipulated that I could import any chelonion or part there of, for purpose of scientific experimentation, keeping as a pet, resale, or consumption. Basically, if Equador would have agreed to it, I could have brought Lonesome George home to turn into soup and no one could legally interfere. Not that I would have, mind you.

See, remains after stuffing was something I was never told about and had wondered so thank you for enlightening me!
I wasn't really trying to sound as if I was chastising you or pointing my finger at a "federal felony", but rather trying to share the legal aspects of it, just in case you or anyone reading didn't know.
Don't exactly want to have people go out into their yard and start shooting bald eagles, or any other protected bird, because tegus can apparently eat them, ya know?

That brings up a question I had thought about earlier today. I'm a bow-hunter and I get a fair amount of wild game each season, I figure if I can eat the meat then it might be okay for a tegu to eat it as well? We're talking deer, elk, wild boar, rabbit, quail, wild turkey, etc.

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
You know, I have this 'friend' that disposes of hospital infectious waste. I mean, well, if they're throwing those parts away anyway...

apocalypse910

Loki loves hornworms (Captive Raised)- they are a huge mess though.
Not sure if it qualifies as weird but mine absolutely loves apple snails from the Asian market. I've also given him chicken hearts, frog legs, and canned grasshoppers as treats.

Dubya

1,000+ Post Club
Tegudude88 said:
I feed my tegu dog poop at least twice a week

If your dog has worms, cut poop feeding in half, then double it and divide it by two for optimum nutrition.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
My dog eats my other dog's poop. Just knew everyone would want to know. . .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fanderson9214