• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Will only eat crickets

JoeTurtleKing

Hi everyone Ive had a red tegu for a little over a month and a half now and I can not get him to eat anything besides crickets. I've tried scrambled eggs (ate it once),ground turkey,superworms,pinky mince live and frozen,chicken liver (ate it once) he only will eat crickets.

I let him go a week with no crickets to see if he would eat something else but no he just went from 70 grams to 64 grams so I gave him crickets again. I'm ordering some dubia roaches and I hope he will eat that since crickets are not a good nutrition source. The place I got him from all they fed him was crickets for his whole life

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D using Tapatalk 2

Also temps are fine 112* basking site. 80* cold side of enclosure. Humidity is good. 5.0 zoomed uvb bulb.
Here's a picture of his enclosure [attachment=4498]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1340316406753.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1340316406753.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 2
  • uploadfromtaptalk1340316649294.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1340316649294.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 3

Diablo

5 Year Member
Keep trying different things man, fruits, cover the turkey or worms in something, or maybe stick crickets on the turkey. Just have to keep trying I would think

yulyani

hello,... ..I have a same experience,,,,, only this is with the very young water monitor. The seller give him crickets all the time and this is the only things he wants at the first. With time and acclimation his appetite increased and he begin to accept the chicken, beef and rodents. But he has to be alone and quiet still when I offer the food. Plus I add the UVA and UVB spectrum at least 4-5 hours perday to induce appetite. I really hope the same thing works with your tegu. For temporary please make sure you gut load your crickets and give them the nutritious meal including calsium.............

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phi Long