• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

2 red tegus and outside cage?

argus333

5 Year Member
my 2 reds are now about 2ft in length tip to tail and im going to build them a new outside cage how big do u guys think for the 2 of them for now until adult size. i was going to do 6ft wide x 8ft long. pen type set up with hide box.

MFjustin

Does anyone have pictures of there outside cage? I do not have a tegu, but i want to put my tegu's cage in my backyard. I Live in southern california so there is plenty of sun out here, but i am wondering if i would need a basking light still? And what do you guys do when it rains? Moreover what about winter?

G

I can`t send pictures of mine as I haven`t built it yet but I have seen some and here is my two cents worth ...

If you don`t have to worry about snow load then a flat top covered with wire should work [like a chicken coop or a dog run .

You should bury [chicken wire] so that your Tegu cant dig out [and other things can`t dig in ..]

The shelter part can be built in [like half wire half steel roofing ]or you could go the [dog house way ] or both . The hide should be buried to some degree .

The bottom of the pen should be plywood or steal roofing about two feet up so your tegu dosn`t [climb the wire ]..

A ceramic heater could be used in the hide for cold rainy days ..U.V.shouldn`t be necessary ..

In the winter ?? Many bring there hibernating Tegus in and keep them in [Rubbermaid tubs ]..

There are several examples on this website if one was to look under enclosures ??

MFjustin

Okay thanks! i'll look around for any examples of an outdoor enclosure. I don't have to worry about snow and the ceramic heater sounds nice. Do they hibernate only for the winter season than wake up for fall?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus