• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

2008: Volunteer & student herp opportunities - 01.26.08

desiree

5 Year Member
Note, I also post this on my blog on myspace; will try to keep information synchronized as best as possible.

I thought I'd share these this year; will update as I learn of new opportunities.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.ircf.org/volunteer.php">http://www.ircf.org/volunteer.php</a><!-- m -->

Andros Iguana Research Expedition, Bahamas
March 22-30, 2008. Days will be spent carefully capturing iguanas for data gathering and translocation. Field work on the islands will be completed throughout the morning and afternoons.

Blue Iguana Captive Facility, Grand Cayman
May through July, 2008, Opportunities for those interested in caring for the captive Blue Iguanas and their offspring, monitoring nesting in the QE II Botanic Park, and other related activities.

Blue Iguana Field Activities, Grand Cayman
February through April 2008, and August through December 2008. Fieldwork opportunities to assist with population monitoring, trail network expansion and mapping, setting up iguana retreats, release in the wild and more.

Continue to check the IRCF website for upcoming field events and activities.

HerpDigest: The Only Free Weekly Electronic Newsletter That Reports on The Latest News on Herpetological Conservation, Science
Volume 8 Issue 4, Friday, January 25, 2008
Publisher/Editor- Allen Salzberg

7) Amphibian Field Positions At Yosemite National Park

Work will mostly involve field surveys for amphibians at Yosemite, though some
surveys will be conducted elsewhere in northern California. There may also be
opportunities to participate in related research on amphibian chytrid fungus and
pesticides.

Successful applicants will have:

experience conducting field research, preferably involving amphibians
strong outdoor skills that include hiking, backpacking, camping in remote areas
ability to work well with a field partner under challenging conditions
experience with maps, PDAs, GPS, and orienteering

Please get in touch with/Gary Fellers/Research Biologist/Western Ecological Research Center, USGS/Point Reyes National Seashore/Point Reyes, California 94956
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->/http://www.werc.usgs.gov/pt-reyes/fellers.asp

if you have questions or need additional information.

APPLY TO: Peggy Hamilton, USGS/BRD, 3020 University Dr East, Modoc Hall Room, 3006 /Sacramento California 95819, FAX (916) 278-9475

Please list the announcement number on the application

Announcement Number: WERC 35-07-04
Date Opened: 12/20/07 - Date Closed: 1/10/08
Temporary Position: Biological Science Technician, GG-0404-06
Salary: $32,172 yearly, $15.42 hourly, actual salary based on hours worked
Type of Appt: Temporary, Not-to-Exceed 180 working days
Work Schedule: Full Time,
Field Station: USGS, Biological Resources Division, Point Reyes Field Station
Duty Station: El Portal, California

Job Description:

A fully funded doctoral student position focusing on Hellbender ecology
and genetics is available beginning May 2008. A highly motivated student is sought to
evaluate the food habits, life history, and genetics of eastern hellbenders. Applicants will
focus on reproductive and recruitment success, population abundance, and growth among
local populations of Hellbenders. These data will be used to develop a stage-structured
life-history model to evaluate the long-term population viability of endangered Indiana
Hellbenders. In addition, applicants will compare dietary habits in relation to
macroinvertebrate assemblages and develop molecular markers to assess levels of genetic
variation and structure at both local and regional scales. This project will include both field and laboratory components combined with extensive travel to regional field sites during the summer months. Transportation and off-campus housing will be provided.

Qualifications: A student with an MS in herpetology and/or genetics is preferred although
exceptional applicants with a BS will be considered. Applicants must have a strong work
ethic and the ability to work both independently and as a member of a research team.
Good interpersonal skills are essential. Applicants will work closely with a diverse group of state wildlife biologists, private landowners, and supervise field technicians. Prior
experience with genetic techniques (e.g., PCR and microsatellite genotyping) would be
helpful but not required. Potential applicants are encouraged to visit
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.fnr.purdue.edu/students/graduate.shtml">http://www.fnr.purdue.edu/students/graduate.shtml</a><!-- m -->
to ensure they meet the minimum departmental requirements for admission.

To apply, electronically submit a cover letter stating research and career interests, CV
(including cumulative GPA and GRE scores), and contact information for three references to Dr. Rod Williams at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->

Salary: ~$20,000/yr
Last Date to Apply: February 29, 2008
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.fnr.purdue.edu/faculty/williams/index.shtml">http://www.fnr.purdue.edu/faculty/williams/index.shtml</a><!-- m -->

HerpDigest: The Only Free Weekly Electronic Newsletter That Reports on The Latest News on Herpetological Conservation, Science
Volume #8 Issue #1, Monday, January 7, 2008

2) Looking For M.S. Students Interested In Herpetological Research For The Fall Of 2008.

From John S. Plyacyk of the University of Texas at Tyler

I am looking for MasterÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¾Ã?â??Ã?¢s students to populate my new and very empty lab in the Department of Biology at the University of Texas at Tyler. I am interested in two main types of students: 1) those interested in herpetological research, and 2) those interested in conservation genetics, molecular ecology, phylogenetics and systematics, chemical ecology, and behavioral biology. The latter need not specifically be interested in herps. Examples of current lab projects include conservation genetics of ButlerÃ?Æ?Ã?â??Ã?â??Ã?¢Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¡Ã?â??Ã?¬Ã?Æ?Ã?¢Ã?¢ââ??¬Ã?¾Ã?â??Ã?¢s gartersnake, Texas horned lizards, salamanders, and turtles, phylogenetics of gartersnakes, horned lizards, and box turtles, and geographic variation in morphology, behavior, and life-history traits and the influence of plasticity and genetics on that variation. If you would like more information, please contact Dr. John Placyk at <!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->.

John S. Placyk, Jr., Ph.D., AssistantProfessor/Department of Biology/University of Texas at Tyler/3900 University Blvd./Tyler, Texas 75799/Office: 903-566-7147

Volume 1 Issue 84, Sunday, December 30, 2007

2) Summer Field Course In Conservation Biology, With An Emphasis On Amphibians, Turtles, And Reptiles

A field course in Conservation Biology will be offered at the Lakeside Laboratory from June 2nd to June 27th 2008. Lakeside Lab is located in Northwestern Iowa, along the intersection, from east to west, between the Eastern Deciduous Forest and Great Plains, and along the intersection, from north to south, between the recently glaciated Lakes Region and the older, better drained, and more variable stream systems associated with Missouri and Mississippi River uplands.

A combination laboratory and field course, Conservation Biology examines the history of the Upper Midwest from the retreat of the latest glaciers to the present day. Northwest Iowa is a landscape of lakes, wetlands, prairie, and oak savannah; it is also a place of intense agriculture, an area of concentrated summer tourism, and it hosts a wind farm. In this context, native ecosystems will be compared against altered ecosystems, and the processes of restoration will be measured against these extremes. Students will participate in a habitat restoration and should bring rugged clothing, sturdy boots, heavy canvas gloves, and a hard hat.

The herpetofauna of this area is well known. Highlights include the turn-of the-century (19th to 20th) commercial collections of 20 million leopard frogs/yr, the pioneering surveys of Frank Blanchard in the 1920s, and more recent findings that bear on the global problems of amphibian malformations and declines. We will visit the only known Prairie Rattlesnake populations in Iowa.

For information about Lakeside Lab (soon to be updated for 2008) see:

Iowa Lakeside Laboratory

For more information about the course, contact Mike Lannoo at:

Michael J. Lannoo/Professor, Anatomy and Cell Biology/Indiana University School of Medicine/Holmstedt Hall, Room 135/Terre Haute Indiana 47809
<!-- e --><a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a><!-- e -->

3) Undergraduate Research And Training In Reptile Ecology In Spring 2008

There are openings for two undergraduate researchers to participate in field based research in lizard ecology. Field work will take place in Santa Rosa National Park, Costa Rica (15 to 29 March 2008).

All travel and living expenses are covered, and a generous stipend is provided.

In addition to field work, students will receive a broad introduction to reptile ecology and field methods. I can work with students to try arranging credit with their home institutions. In previous years, students were able earn 2-3 credits for participation.

The research team will consist of six Native American and Pacific Islander students. Funding constraints limit participation to Native American and Pacific Islander students.

Interested students who qualify can contact:

Doug Eifler/Erell Institute/Haskell Indian Nations University/Box 5018/155 Indian Avenue/Lawrence, Kansas 66046/[email protected]/785-424-3397

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Wow, I wish I were qualified to help out with that...would be a great experience!

desiree

5 Year Member
You definitely can for the Carribean activities! I'm not a biologist or zoologist by trade, but I'm able to volunteer!

playlboi

5 Year Member
sounds like a great opportunity. but i'm still a struggling student. i don't think i'm capable of that, at least not yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980