• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

3 week old black and white argentine tegu

Kornhauser22

Hi! I got a male black and white Argentine tegu. I want to socialize with him as soon as possible so he likes me when he’s bigger and everything. I got him 2 days ago, and anytime my hand goes near him he hisses at me and tries to bite me and tail whip me. Is this normal and he’s just stressed from his new environment? If so any advice on when to start trying to handle him and the best way to get him comfortable with me? Thanks in advance ❤️

Attachments

• 1E24BBC0-6AC1-4321-B0C5-13700818BCDB.jpeg
    1E24BBC0-6AC1-4321-B0C5-13700818BCDB.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
  • 96FE29A6-A2B5-407D-B4E1-DE3EEA291C54.png
    96FE29A6-A2B5-407D-B4E1-DE3EEA291C54.png
    9 MB · Views: 10

Jeremyxb12

5 Year Member
Best way to start is to do it now. Even if he hisses at you or flares himself. Once you hold him he'll realize you're not really a threat. Trust me, he will learn real fast that you're a friend, not a foe. When you aren't around or when it's time for the gu to go to bed, put the shirt you wore all day in with it. They get used to your scent and warm up faster.

If you can, go into a small room where there are no escape ways and sit down with the tegu and let em walk around and come up to you as well. This is another way for them to learn you're a good person.

Kornhauser22

Best way to start is to do it now. Even if he hisses at you or flares himself. Once you hold him he'll realize you're not really a threat. Trust me, he will learn real fast that you're a friend, not a foe. When you aren't around or when it's time for the gu to go to bed, put the shirt you wore all day in with it. They get used to your scent and warm up faster.

If you can, go into a small room where there are no escape ways and sit down with the tegu and let em walk around and come up to you as well. This is another way for them to learn you're a good person.
Thanks so much! The first day I handled him he lost a TINY bit of his tail and I felt horrible, but he seems to be warming up to me a lot. He’s hard to wrangle into my hands from his cage but once he’s in my hands he’s a really good boy!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980