• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

4x8x5 in the making...

RickyNo

just a quick update on my progress, i hired a Master Craftsmen to custom build me the windows and do the laminate on the encloser. He'll start on the project on the first and I'll have photos to follow.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Can't wait to see how this project wraps up! You've done a fine job thus far!

RickyNo

I have to say this is a very pricey build. I want it to look up to par for when I move into a bigger house. I really want a nice finish that I will enjoy and really set of whatever room its in. The contractor will be by the first and just the bill for him to build the windows and finish work on the exterior of the cage is going to run me $730. Add on the cost to actually build it with all the lighting, thermostat and custom backround I'm looking at at least 2 grand lol

RickyNo

Custom glass windows coming along nicely!!! Will have exterior of cage complete first week of december!

Once the exterior is finished and im ready to bring it inside unfortunately there is going to be hours upon hours of more work to do! I am going to try and come up with a rough draft sketch of how i want the custom interior design to be and I'll post it up for you all. unfortunately my uvb bulbs dont reach 2 feet effectively like i was hoping so Im going to have to make some type of basking rock that he walks up on so that he is high enough to get uvb.

RickyNo

Well this has been a long process and too many hours of work but finally ready for the master craftsmen to come out tomorrow and install the windows and exterior panels so I can start staining the wood. on the enclosure is inside I can start on the Waterfall and custom 3d background. So many more hours to go.....
20131201_195128_zps34225117.jpg

RickyNo

Well this has been a long process and too many hours of work but finally ready for the master craftsmen to come out tomorrow and install the windows and exterior panels so I can start staining the wood. on the enclosure is inside I can start on the Waterfall and custom 3d background. So many more hours sto go
20131201_195128_zps34225117.jpg

RickyNo

this is so time consuming and expensive it's not even funny lol. I should be ready to start staining the wood tomorrow. I could have started on it days ago but I was having trouble deciding how to paint or stain the exterior of the enclosure. I'm going to go with oil based gel stain hopefully it comes out great. The custom windows are made out of maple and there are two other types of wood for the trim and surface cover. So I think the only way to get an even stain is with gel.

RickyNo

Yes. Loki is finally inside the cage. I want to say about 2 months of this project was wasted on finish work. I should have just paid to have the contractor lay formica on the exterior after he finished the trim and windows. I work a lot of hours so its very hard for me to fit in time to even work on this cage at the moment especially when still trying to spend time with Lokie. I originally wanted the stain look on the enclosure but due to some bad advice and my first time staining it did not come out right so I was forced to scratch that project and settle with a paint job. I went with an expresso look, I went out and bought a new gravity gun and started spraying away. Time between coats were a few days at a time, lets just say I quickly figured out how difficult it was to work with this type of paint.

I got the same type of paint that builders use on trim and some cabinets inside new homes. Because the cage is so big I couldnt paint all at once, I only have a 1 car garage so it made things difficult on me. In the end I quickly grew very disappointed. I notice the flaws in the finish work and it grinds my freakin gears. Nobody else notices it, they say its amazing but when you have spent so much time and thousands of dollars you expect perfection. In normal lighting the cage looks like a nice dark expresso, flash your camera at it and the flash makes it look like a giant **** stain... Maybe I am just too picky, maybe I am just filled with more anger than usual because I quit smoking this week...But fuc kin A you watch, 6 months down the road i'll have the windows redone and formica put on the cage. Nice simple dustable black...

But heres the scoop... Loki loves the cage, he just got put into it last friday. The humidifier keeps having water build up so its off at the moment. Im going to try and set it on a bar stool and maybe a downward slope will allow any water build up to drain in the cage. I have a good 500 pounds or more of a soil/peat moss/play sand mixture inside and thats after building a false floor covering 5ft of the 8ft cage. I hold about 60% humidity without my humidifier on. I have a heat emitter and a 150 watt bulb basking light alone with two 4ft uvb 10.0 bulbs. With the cage sealed my thermostat doesnt even turn my heat emitter on because the basking bulb is raising my ambient temps into the high 80's. I just checked it a half hour ago and I was at 88 degrees with two vent holes open which is royally pissing me off.

He has a ghetto rigged basking spot to raise him up high enough to get to 120's and a cardboard box house till I can make him something to suite his size as an adult. The custom waterfall and backround are going to take a longgg ass time. Going for the natural look, make him feel like his in his native home... Sorry for writing a book, I just having talked to anyone about this and I guess I needed to vent? lol

RickyNo

Im done for tonight. Finally getting motivated again. I have so many projects I want to do that taking my time isnt getting me to those any quicker. Started on the stairs. Will tweak it once is all one piece. This basking spot will look over a waterfall and pond when its all wrapped up.

Rebecca Stout

Have a stupid question here for you all.. Im brand new. And never built anything this big. How do you get the enclosure inside after its built. Every one that I see built is outside or in the garage .. then its magically in the house.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980