• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

A bit early isn't it?

tresh

So last year, we didn't let our tegu hibernate, being the nervous pet owners that we were. THis year, we've been letting her do what she wants. For the last month, she's been hiding. She claimed a closet for her own, and she stays burrowed in the depths of a pile of blankets for days on end. She stopped eating a few weeks ago, refusing to touch any sort of ground up food, no chicken, no tuna, nothing. She drinks a lot of water when she emerges, but like I said, no food.

I recently had to leave for about a week and a half, and my neighbor told me that she didn't emerge at all during that time as well. Last night she came out when I got home, laid under the lamp for about an hour, drank water, wouldn't touch the fresh tuna I laid out for her, then she went back to her nest.

I"m wondering if this is how hibernation works? She was really really sleepy and lazy (AND COLD) when I went to pet her while she was basking, she just kinda laid there quietly, and this morning, she's in her hiding place again.

Is it okay to let her hibernate like that, in a closet under blankets? The entire room is her 'territory' now, so I don't mind if that's what she wants to do, I'm just not sure if I'm doing everything right. Keeping fresh water out, keeping the heat lamp on...not sure if I need to do anything else.

I'm going to miss my girl though if she's headed to hibernate now.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980