• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

a few quick questions (and new cage pictures!)-

ReptiBonezXO

hey guys, i got Zuuldogs cage finished:heart:

Shes been really active, and smelling around her new pad. I misted her down last night really well, sprayed some shed ease on her, and let her bask for a bit in her new home until it was time for bed.

So here's my question....
I've had her for about 4-5 months, and always noticed more brown on her than seemed normal. Mainly up around her upper back and neck area.
In this shed i have seen more nice whites around her rear end, and in her legs.

Isn't this something that is more prominent in juvi tegus? And is there any way to tell how old she is?

Also, in another thread recently, i was told that a hard boiled egg and jar of baby food was too little for an adult tegu. I agree, but when given that amount she acts full, and becomes uninterested in more food.
I also need to mention, Zuul is very small. I was told she was about three years old, when i got her 4 or so months ago.

Zuul is only about 4.5 pounds. She seems happy, healthy, and when it is time to eat, she is enthusiastic until she is full. She doesn't have huge jowls, but does have nice cheeks, and full neck (for a female). She doesn't look underweight, (or at least as far as i can tell), and her abdomen seems filled out with plump little legs.

Is there a way for me to tell her age a little better? Can i help her grow any more if she truly is three? Or just fill out more in general?
She doesnt look thin, or sickly, and she digs, basks, explores and so on.

thoughts?

[attachment=3925]

[attachment=3926]

[attachment=3927]

Attachments

• zullcageopen.jpg
    zullcageopen.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 14
  • zullcagetongue.jpg
    zullcagetongue.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 12
  • zulldogface.jpg
    zulldogface.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 9

RamblinRose

5 Year Member
Very nice looking Tegu and cage! I think it looks great as far as weight and structure. A tegu will only grow (like so many other things), as big as it's surroundings, and also depends on A LOT on diet & feeding schedule. How was she kept before you got her? That would be "the main source" of answers to your questions and thoughts. ; )

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
RamblinRose said:
Very nice looking Tegu and cage! I think it looks great as far as weight and structure. A tegu will only grow (like so many other things), as big as it's surroundings, and also depends on A LOT on diet & feeding schedule. How was she kept before you got her? That would be "the main source" of answers to your questions and thoughts. ; )

The part about it only growing as big as its surroundings is false. Diet and genetics are what control growth.

ReptiBonezXO

In short, she as kept poorly. Her first owner was very close with her, but didn't keep her properly. She was out most of the day, with lamps just clipped around the house for her to get warm. So no real humidity, and so on. As far as what she fed her, i have no clue. She had MBD because of the way the first owner kept her. She has a slight dip in her back due to it.
The second owner had in a large cage, that was functional, proper temps, big water bowl, but very bare, and the screen on the front was big mesh, so very little humidity. From talking to him, and getting info on the previous owner through him, its the only info i have. He seemed to have her on an okay diet, but not great, and not much variety. mostly mice, turkey, and a little fruit, but only on occasion. Her diet consisted of about 85% ground turkey. She didn't seem to have any real stimulation as far as her enclosure, and when she was out, he had hyper kids that really stressed her out.

Honestly how she is as sweet as she is i'll never know.