1. Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email josh@tegutalk.com!
    Dismiss Notice

A little confused why people feel the need to force their tegu into brumation??

Discussion in 'Tegu Hibernation' started by AlphaAlpha, Oct 19, 2017.

1. AlphaAlpha

AlphaAlpha Active Member

All animals including lizards adapt to their surroundings ...e.g wild lizards in argentina will have different habits and behaviors to the ones say in brazil or uruguay and especially colombians as they are basically a whole new species in there own right..even the difference in altitude and surroundings effect their behaviors...
    These are captive tegus that already usually live longer than their wild brothers,so why treat them as wild and force them to brumate?? your tegu will live how it wants to live, its your job to look after its needs and help it to live a happy life not bend its life to how you want it to live??

PEACE OUT
  2. Zyn

Zyn Active Member

Who here forces it?
  3. Walter1

Walter1 Moderator Staff Member 1,000+ Post Club

Argentines typically bromate for some period of time. Has not been bred out of them and is to their benefit. Therefore, look out for signs that it wants to sleep and accommodate it.
  4. Chu

Chu New Member

What if I miss these signs and treat my tegu as usual (handling, heat, feeding, etc.). Will it hurt him if I do not accommodate it?
  5. Walter1

Walter1 Moderator Staff Member 1,000+ Post Club

I don’t know. If he slows down or stops eating, I’d give him a rest.
  6. AlphaAlpha

AlphaAlpha Active Member

Of what I've read there is no garanteed fact that all tegu's do bromate / hibernate both in the wild or in captivity.... It is totally dependant on the Tegu