• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

A red and a b&w in the same enclosure?

Aranha

5 Year Member
Would they get along? And if they mated what would that result in? Been thinking about getting another tegu and it would be awesome to have a red and b&w ^^

ColdThirst

5 Year Member
Yes they would get along, and I discourage "backyard breeding" IMO just keep them as pets and enjoy them that way.

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
"Backyard Breeding" is a slanderous term used to describe people who have no idea what they are doing, and hatch eggs without somewhere for them to go. Even if that's not what he meant, that's what the term means, and I find it fairly offensive.

Anyway, they should get along fine, but you have to keep an eye on them for the first couple of hours to make sure everything goes alright. I recently introduced my male B&W to my female Red and they get along fantastically.
IMAGE_00006.jpg

Look at <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=793">http://www.tegutalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=793</a><!-- m --> to see my two getting along and sharing their basking stump. I plan on breeding the two. Their offspring are a crapshoot, but come out very cool sometimes. Black with white dots, tinged with red, sometimes different.

The reason people use terms like "backyard breeding" as an insult is because many inexperienced owners have babies and have no idea what to do with them. They hatchlings have no homes to go to, and something bad ends up happening to them. You just need to be prepared for their sale, because it is unlikely that you are going to be able to keep all of the hatchlings.

Aranha

5 Year Member
Hehe i didnt take any offence at all from the "backyard breeding" thing. I fully understand him since this is my first tegu.

To sell tegus in sweden is like selling sportcars for a dollar! Especially crossbreeds. A normal b&w tegu sells for aprox 500-600 dollars. So i would probably have no problem getting rid of em. And i would offcourse get a incubator and all necessary tools if it would actually happen.

A mate of mine recommended to put the new tegu in a smaller encloser inside the large enclosure for alittle while so they can get a whim of eachother.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
You can take steps to ensure you have the same sex and thus no breeding; if that is a concern. Also, if eggs are laid you do not have to hatch them out. "Backyard Breeding" :bs2 makes no difference in the matter.

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
i have a 3 of mine together and they are full grown in a 6'x3'x3'. 2 red and one black N White. they are bask together and sleep together.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
What in the world are we talking about, mine breed in the "backyard" every year. :rofl

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
its more then large enough to fit 3 adults. but it is only their winter enclosure. for their room is to cold in the winter for them.

aj12790

5 Year Member
I have a red/black/white cross male and a red female and they are doing fine together.You just have to keep an eye on them.My cage is 8x3x3 so if they need bigger I'll just build it.

Lexi

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
First off they go in there in the winter. all they do in the winter is freakin sleep. do you really need a huge cage just so they can sleep? WTF why is everyone on here today trying to piss me the f*ck off.

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Mine do not have anything that large to sleep in. I use large rubbermade tubs 2ft underground.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980