• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Aargh, how to get him to LIKE fruit

reptileszz

5 Year Member
Hi all, I am trying to get my black and white tegu to eat more fruit to no avail. I would prefer it if he actually liked to eat it but thats not happening. I have been hiding it in ground turkey so he is getting some at least.

What fruits have people had good luck with them liking? I have tried banana (which is the only one he actually took on his own with no meat around), peach, pear, grape, blueberry and raspberry.

Thank you,
Carole

reptileszz

5 Year Member
Um, when reading all the care sheets out there and from this forum I have gathered that tegus need a bit more than just mice. Anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanks
Carole

tegulevi

5 Year Member
most of the care sheets are wrong. there has only been one gut examination of tegus documented. and it was from a skinning station in one region. not even close to accurate IMO. im sure you framiliar with possums. think of tegus like we have raccoons and possums. they eat what is available. if given a choice they will take animal prey. but when it comes down to it they eat what they can find even in its rummaging through garbage. i dont have much luck even getting my reds to "like" fruit. i feed mostly a whole prey diet to all of my tegus and use absolutely no turkey as it has no real signifigance other than hiding fruit in to trick them. for that extra vitamin boost i make a big batch of tegu slop lol. throw some smal mice, fruit,veggies and sweet potato baby food in a bowl and mix it up. they will pick at it and get a nice load of vitamins from the fruit and potato.

good luck

COWHER

5 Year Member
I didnt have luck with any fruit for the longest time. :roll: but this week Barbossa actually took some mango with out any meat around it :woot . I dont agree 100% with the comments made above (mostly meat diets) yet I do agree that they are opportunity hunters and scavengers I don't agree that they eat mostly meat because there has been studies on the amount of seed spreading done by tegu's eating fruit and then passing the seeds some where else and they are very valuable because of this.. I have done the same thing as you and used ground turkey along with chopped grapes, broccoli, mango, and calf liver to make little meat balls :puke and he seems to like it. and he just recently took mango alone so I dont know if he is starting to like fruit and veggies now but as long as he is eating it I'm happy :app :fc :app

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
Hey rock on. I agree with tegulevi, but I do believe that some fruit should be offered. I don't offer chunks of fruit as they are not interested. I cut up mango and papaya and mix it with hunks of shark steak. Apollo loves shark steak and the strong smell covers up fruit and he eats em with reckless abandon.

redtail2426

5 Year Member
Dosnt shark have alot of mercury in it?? Any way how old is your tegu because I have a black and white and he would never take fruit on his own so I stopped offering it for a couple months and then when I offered it again at about six months of age he eats any kind of fruit I can throw at him and he usually eats it before his meats. So I think it mostly has to do with age but I know there are some gu's out there that just wont take it.

ApriliaRufo

5 Year Member
yes shark does have a lot of mercury in it, depending on where it comes from. One of the perks to living in CA is that there is a CHinese friend of mine, who has a farm. The sharks are raised like pets in his home. Unfortunately 20$ a lb is a pricy bit to pay, but it's a rare treat. I try to give my tegus a lot more variety than zophobas and mice. They get rats, mice, gerbils, hamsters, worms, grasshoppers, fish (many different kinds), mantids, non-poisonous scorpions, non-poisonous spiders. There are a lot of different food items to offer. I've never successfully bred scorpions so that is one expensive meal... Although I've heard a friend feeds adult wolf spiders and successfully breeds them. Never tried those though.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I guess my tegu is an exception to the case. I have a roughly 4-5 month old tegu and he absolutely loves fruits. So far I have giving him/her grapes, rasperries, cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon (not much nutrition), and blueberries. He/she eats them all straight up with out a hitch. Cantaloupe seems to be his favorite. I have also tried strawberries but he ignored them.

PuffDragon

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Oops forgot to answer your question. I really am not sure. The turkey method seems to be best. Maybe just slowly wean him off the turkey by adding more fruit each serving? I never had a problem with fruit like I said. Try some cantaloupe.

Aranha

5 Year Member
I say start rubbing fruit with something meaty and then do it alittle less everytime and finally they'll eat fruit without and mixing or anything. The trick is to get them to start eating it. Mine eats plain salads and he seems to like it :)

nat

5 Year Member
i usually just give my tegus a bowl of fruit with a mouse on top and they seem to really enjoy following up their mouse with fruit desert.

COWHER

5 Year Member
nat said:
i usually just give my tegus a bowl of fruit with a mouse on top and they seem to really enjoy following up their mouse with fruit desert.

lol nice.. I think I'll try that

playlboi

5 Year Member
i have a few month old tegu and he loves certain types of fruits. i cut it up in chunks and feed it together with the turkey and whatever else and he'll choose to eat the fruits by itself.

reptileszz

5 Year Member
Thanks guys for all the responses. What I have learned here is just mix it in and hope for the best. I wont sweat it tho. I was on my 3rd attempt at getting him to eat plain fruit yesterday and he ate nothing so... back to mixing it in.

2903994650033952798S500x500Q85.jpg

Thanks!
Carole

rebeccaej

5 Year Member
Try different fruits and vegetables, too. Mine wouldn't eat any of the stuff I was offering her, but as soon as I sliced open a blueberry so she could smell the juice inside, she started eating those. Now she'll eat those just as readily as meat. I find that if it has a lot of juice and a strong flavor, she is more likely to eat it. Bell peppers are another one of her favorites, again, because of the juice. Try cut berries, bell pepper, mango, kiwi, banana, or anything else that is very juicy.

COWHER

5 Year Member
COWHER said:
nat said:

lol nice.. I think I'll try that

this works i have had awesome success with it!!! thanks Nat!

DZLife

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Ok, I have believed we have established that Tegus eat fruits and veggies alongside meat, but just how much fruit is neccesary?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erectus