• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Adding seeds to gu's diet?

sherthisisit

Hey guys,
Was just wondering what peoples thoughts on adding seeds to your tegus diet were? I cant seem to find a lot of info on the subject so thought I'd ask you all. For example sunflower seeds -As shown here, extremely useful in a human's diet, but will reptiles gain the same benefit? Is it even safe to feed seeds to reptiles?

Thanks all,
D

james.w

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Seeds yes, I'm not sure about sunflower seeds, but I don't see why not.

http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=7370

sherthisisit

Thanks guys, seems i didn't search hard enough :-/

D
numarix said:
http://www.tegutalk.com/showthread.php?tid=7712#axzz1ddEYV1Kh

There doesn't seem to be any information here regarding seed use in tegu diet at all...

boyd1955

I'm very interested in this too ... Boomer likes his meat and I can occasionally get him to have a couple of grapes or a bit of mango ... I was feeding him loads of crickets and locusts but he's growing and we are talking it had got to the £20 ($40) a week stage so I cut down and have now cut them out ... They were his major source of roughage me thinks as his poos are not so acceptable since ... In fact he did one today that was just plain NASTY ... I'm still recovering from dealing with it
Seeds seem the ideal way of getting him more roughage ... We need some info on this definitely ... I would think its fine, but has anyone actually got any experience and first hand knowledge

boyd1955

On an interesting note ... I've just got a new load of crickets ( foul beasts ) and have started giving him a few every day ...He loves to chase them ... His tummy is much better ... Still not right, but getting there ... Weird ... Anyone else wondering about too much meat and lack of roughage ?

sherthisisit

boyd1955 said:
On an interesting note ... I've just got a new load of crickets ( foul beasts ) and have started giving him a few every day ...He loves to chase them ... His tummy is much better ... Still not right, but getting there ... Weird ... Anyone else wondering about too much meat and lack of roughage ?

I tried cutting up a couple of sunflower seeds and mixing them in with the boiled egg I was feeding my gu..She took a couple bites of it but then completely ignore it - I guess she doesnt like the seeds!!

D

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mightytegu