• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Adenovirus

VARNYARD

Former Admin
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Dave, yes there is Adenoviruses out there. There are 41 distinct types (6 subgenera: A through F) that can cause human infections. However there is no proof at all that the type of the virus that affects beardies will, or even does affect humans. Adenovirus is very widespread in nature, infecting all animals and even man. I even read somewhere that every living thing has been subjected to at least one form or another.

Many types of the Adenoviruses do not have any affect on humans at all. So lets not get all shook up over one form of this virus, when there is nothing at all showing it can be contracted from bearded dragons.

Sub-Group: Types: Oncogenic Potential: Rhesus: Rat:
A 12, 18, 31 HIGH - + / -
B 3, 7, 11, 14, 21, 34, 35 Weak + -
C 1, 2, 5, 6 None - + / -
D 8-10, 13, 15, 17, 19, 20, 22-30, 32, 33, 36-39 None + / - +
E 4 None - + / -
F - G 40, 41 ? - + / -

Nyarlathotep

5 Year Member
I seem to recall reading about a case suspected to have jumped from bearded dragon to varanid, but I'm not sure if even that was proven. From my understanding, adenovirus infections in humans is relatively mild.

Nyarlathotep

5 Year Member
Nyarlathotep said:
I seem to recall reading about a case suspected to have jumped from bearded dragon to varanid, but I'm not sure if even that was proven. From my understanding, adenovirus infections in humans is relatively mild.

When I wrote the above, I hadn't actually read the article :? (new human killing adenovirus - yikes). I probably won't avoid reptiles as a result of reading this (beyond regular hygiene to protect my collection), but if I see a human sniffling, I'm gonna high-tail it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoritoDan