• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Adult Colombian tegu food

Carlyle

I picked up a 3 yr old female tegu from a pet show aafew weeks ago and she's been eating regularly, everything has been going well, she's settling into a new enclosure I picked up over the weekend etc etc. Just was looking around and maybe I didn't look hard enough but didn't really see any threads on what to feed adult tegus. I've been leaving mice on a paper plate for her when I leave for work but she won't always eat them so I swap out food every couple days. So far she's eaten hard boiled eggs and mice, I left out some sliced mangos on a plate for her with the center( pit I guess?) Removed to see if she likes those. Any other suggestions? Just am trying out different foods to see what she likes right now. I've seen people talk about ground turkey but I dunno if it needs to be cooked or can be served raw

Django

I don't have a adult an Tegu but there's a wide variety of things a tegu can eat, a good website that can be of help is this one right here it has a huge list of what you can feed your tegu and what not to feed to much of and whatnot. http://tegusfromaroundtheworld.weebly.com/food-list.html, I feed my little guy a mixture of chicken hearts ground turkey and chicken gizzards with calcium dust and hopefully I can start to get him into fruit so he can have a balanced diet. And for the preparation methods I serve the food raw after being thawed and soaked in warm water for about 30 minutes to get it to room temp. Hope this helps!

AlphaAlpha

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The food list django has linked is great , but if your tegu is anything like my Alpha it won't touch any fruit or veg and will be total carnivor... be great to hear If and what fruit/veg it does try though??

Teguixin.22

I found the study finally!
"In summary our analysis indicates that Tupinamibis teguixin is a food generalist and omnivore, that feeds on medium and large-sized arthropods, vertebrates and vegetative parts (stems, leaves, but principally fruits). Principal food items (Petrides, 1975) were fruits, snails, coleopterans, lepidopterans, anura and rodents. Several other food items of very low frequency were also present, suggesting they are occasionally ingested by this opportunistic teiid lizard."
https://www.thebhs.org/publications...eiidae-in-the-eastern-chaco-of-argentina/file

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I found the study finally!
"In summary our analysis indicates that Tupinamibis teguixin is a food generalist and omnivore, that feeds on medium and large-sized arthropods, vertebrates and vegetative parts (stems, leaves, but principally fruits). Principal food items (Petrides, 1975) were fruits, snails, coleopterans, lepidopterans, anura and rodents. Several other food items of very low frequency were also present, suggesting they are occasionally ingested by this opportunistic teiid lizard."
https://www.thebhs.org/publications...eiidae-in-the-eastern-chaco-of-argentina/file
Nice find. Useful paper. Thanks.

dpjm

5 Year Member
Good paper, but it is about Argentine black and white tegus. In 1975, when this paper was written, they were also called Tupinambis teguixin.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoeiyehi