• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

After 4 years I finally have a fertile clutch

jtrux

5 Year Member
I've been keeping tegus for about 6 ears now and started attempting to breed them 4 years ago with zero success. I live in San Antonio, TX and keep my adults outside and they hibernate every year, breed and lay eggs BUT the eggs are dried up simply because no matter what I did I could not keep the nest wet enough in 100 degree, dry Summer days. So with that being said every time I collected the eggs they were dry and shriveled up. I essentially had given up hope but this year I went nuts and basically just poured water over the nesting site daily. The female didn't seem to mind and when I noticed she laid, only 6 of the 41 eggs were duds.

I currently have 32 that are showing veins. Huge improvement over the last few years I would say. Anyways, here's a pic of some of the eggs.

Oh, and the male is B&W and the female possible het for albino blue. Babies should be adorable! I am definitely keeping one as a pet only animal. The parents are handleable but not the gentle giants some of you guys have. I want one I can bring inside and have a little supervised freedom in my house.

Anyways, enjoy the pic.

Attachments

• 20200610_194556.jpg
    20200610_194556.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 7

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
Wow - success at last! You HAVE to send pics when they hatch. Congrats! Good job!

Hey- did she build a separate nest away from her hide? How did she manage that?

jtrux

5 Year Member
Yes. I placed a large plastic bin inside her enclosure with a hole cut in the side and provided a ton of debris. She spent a few days constructing it and then laid. The nest was jam packed full of debris. She made use of every bit of what I provided for her.

I'm pretty excited! I've had to toss out a couple eggs but still have 20+ that are showing signs of development.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
That's awesome - Can't remember if this is 100% correct, but I think Tegus are one of only 2 types of lizards that prepare a nest that is separate from their hide, or common space. Good job!!

OK...I'm going to ask this question...Did you think that the breeding process seemed extremely aggressive even dangerous? Or did it just go as expected? (Were you worried about your female?)

jtrux

5 Year Member
To be perfectly honest, when I noticed breeding occurring, I stayed clear, however, I didn't notice anything that was overly concerning from a distance.

Are you looking for a pic of the male? Or literally asking where I keep him relative to the female?

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
To be perfectly honest, when I noticed breeding occurring, I stayed clear, however, I didn't notice anything that was overly concerning from a distance.

Are you looking for a pic of the male? Or literally asking where I keep him relative to the female?
I was wondering if the pair is cohabitating even with the nest.

jtrux

5 Year Member
Oh, I have separate enclosures for them outside and only house them together for a month or so in the Spring. They have been separated.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Oh, I have separate enclosures for them outside and only house them together for a month or so in the Spring. They have been separated.
Thanks for the info. I think if make sticks around, the female stresses.

jtrux

5 Year Member
Well, maybe. My female (most are like this from what I've read) is wicked mean. She would likely be beating on the male nonstop so it might be more stressful for him.

Debita

1,000+ Post Club
I will be laughing at that comment for a very long time. A wicked mean female that now has a nest of babies she's nurturing. Oh, holy hell - everybody take cover.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
It’s_me