• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Age of consent

Compnerd7

I would like to breed my male high red Tegu. He was born last October, and right now he is about 40in and 8lbs. I would like to get him an adult female and breed them NEXT season ( 2013 ).

Will he be of safe size / age by the time the next season comes around, or should I wait another year or so?

I know breeding females when they are too small / young is a touchy subject, but what about males?

To me it would seem that it would be much less stress on the males because of the role they play, but I don't want to put any unnecessary stress on him if he is not ready.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
As long as he's interested and producing plugs he'll be fine, males can breed much sooner than females.
:D Big enough to get it in doesn't mean he can breed, he has to be popping off once he gets in there,.... no blanks though. Lol

laurarfl

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Sometimes with young tegus, they sort of go through the motions, but end up fertilizing the floor. Sort of a PE in lizard form.

And comparable size matters, too. Is his torso long enough to grasp the female, twist around, and insert?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980