• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

age question-

ReptiBonezXO

hey guys, i got Zuuldogs cage finished:heart:

Shes been really active, and smelling around her new pad. I misted her down last night really well, sprayed some shed ease on her, and let her bask for a bit in her new home until it was time for bed.

So here's my question....
I've had her for about 4-5 months, and always noticed more brown on her than seemed normal. Mainly up around her upper back and neck area.
In this shed i have seen more nice whites around her rear end, and in her legs.

Isn't this something that is more prominent in juvi tegus? And is there any way to tell how old she is?

Also, in another thread recently, i was told that a hard boiled egg and jar of baby food was too little for an adult tegu. I agree, but when given that amount she acts full, and becomes uninterested in more food.
I also need to mention, Zuul is very small. I was told she was about three years old, when i got her 4 or so months ago.

Zuul is only about 4.5 pounds. She seems happy, healthy, and when it is time to eat, she is enthusiastic until she is full. She doesn't have huge jowls, but does have nice cheeks, and full neck (for a female). She doesn't look underweight, (or at least as far as i can tell), and her abdomen seems filled out with plump little legs.

Is there a way for me to tell her age a little better? Can i help her grow any more if she truly is three? Or just fill out more in general?
She doesnt look thin, or sickly, and she digs, basks, explores and so on.

thoughts?

[attachment=3925]

[attachment=3926]

[attachment=3927]

AP27

Pictures would be helpful. Who did you purchase her from, and do you know anymore about her past? If she really is three years old as you were told it could be possible that she's had a bed shedding history and it has stunted her growth. I once saw a 6 year old tegu that remained the size of a yearling due to a history of poor husbandry and bad sheds. I am no expert, just offering my opinion.

*Nevermind on the pics, saw them in your other post.

reptastic

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I can't see the pics, however its true juvinile tegus do go through color changes quite often, they usually get their adult color around 2-3 yrs old, the pattern you are describing sounds similar to my female, it went from green, to grey, to white, to black now its brown and appears to be changing again, her sides stayed white and only change when in shed, she is currently 18 mos. and roughly 44" tegus grow til they are 5 y/o and then it slows down, so chances are she is still growing.

ReptiBonezXO

the fact that she could still be growing is encouraging:] I really dont mind if she stays small though. She can be however she wants, ugly, small, gorgeous, fat, big, brown, or white. I dont care, as long as shes happy and healthy:] I just wondered what you guys thought.
here's some more pictures. I think they get bigger if you click on them. i'm not sure why they're loading so small on the post. sorry:[

(also, no, when she was young she was not kept well, and its been hell getting her to shed. her tail, looks like its going to be a long process. Should i try vitamin E oil? or anything of the like?)

thanks again!
[attachment=3928]

[attachment=3929]

[attachment=3930]

also, in the last picture, if you can get it to get bigger, you can see the brown on her upper back/neck area

Attachments

• zulldog1.jpg
    zulldog1.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 5
  • zulldog2.jpg
    zulldog2.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 5
  • zuuldog3.jpg
    zuuldog3.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 5

JohnMatthew

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The tail is usually last part to shed on my GUs. I wouldn't worry so much unless it's still there when the next shed cycle comes along. You could try bumping up the humidity, it looks a bit dry from the pictures.

Bubblz Calhoun

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
The darker neck could be her natural color since she does have a darker head and nose. She looks pretty good to me but a Vet check wouldn't hurt for a fecal to make sure she's not carrying any parasites. As well as a nail trim and to have her back checked out. It looks like she has a kink over her pelvis and a couple at the end of her tail.

So an over all check up for her would be great, especially if you don't have much history on her. Other than that I would keep the humidity up a bit above normal to help with shedding. Her tail other than the kinks looks fine to me, it's usual the last thing and takes the longest to shed.

Feed her well with plenty of exercise and she should be fine.

ReptiBonezXO

she has a huge cat box thats always full of water, and i use a pump mister and soak the cage twice a day, and sometimes i even pour some water directly into the cypress and then turn the bedding. i cant seem to keep the humidity up. i considered using eco earth, but every time ive used it in the past, i get mold under objects. i am up for suggestions. i cannot currently spend the 70-100$ for a fogger. however i have heard that humidifiers work well, but i've never tried it.
yea her back and pelvis sort of dip from improper care when she was young. i'd be happy to get a her a physical and fecal as soon as i can. She seems to get around okay. she doesnt "run", and she doesnt really climb, but she explores my room, and crawls around outside. i think she doesnt climb because of the dip in her back. However i dont think i can do anythng about it now:[
It doesnt seem painful for her though, i can rub and scratch all over her, and pick her up and love on her, and none of it seems to bother her. She'll even shove her butt up in the air like a cat when i scratch it:]

one more thing, i got her when it was warm outside, so she got to be out more often and wear down her nails. I agree, it is time for a nail trim.

I know how to look for a quik on a dog so i dont nick it, but how do i tell on her? and can i use baking powder to stop bleeding if needed?