• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

Alice's Taming Journal

TeguPuppy

Great thread! I'm going through the same process with my new buddy Bender. I got him from Mr. Irwin as well. He came out fairly tame, not very defensive or flighty just doesn't like being picked up mostly. Now I'm just trying to get him to trust and like me. Good luck!
I love what Rod is doing for the environment. It's a win-win for everyone. Plus he's a really sweet guy, I had a great experience dealing with him. I think everyone willing to put in the work should consider going through a source like him.

Sent from my Z833 using Tapatalk

Zyn

Good point but when shes soaking the water isn't that deep but this is a hatchling taming technique so that could be the big difference. So once out she's fine right and it's a front opening cage and you're picking her up from underneath. Hmm I've heard some never 100% tame down. Was she born from their wild caught stock or wild caught herself

TeguPuppy

Good point but when shes soaking the water isn't that deep but this is a hatchling taming technique so that could be the big difference. So once out she's fine right and it's a front opening cage and you're picking her up from underneath. Hmm I've heard some never 100% tame down. Was she born from their wild caught stock or wild caught herself
She's completely wild caught, from the invasive population in the Everglades. She's making great progress, and I'm confident she will eventually become tame, she just tries these little power plays every once in awhile, which she always loses, but not without damaging my wrists and hands first, haha. I'm finding that she doesn't test me as much as she did in the beginning, though. Baby steps.

Zyn

That's awesome I know this is like a no duh thought but have you tried getting a denim jacket cutting sleeve off just to wear till she's tamed down.

TeguPuppy

That's awesome I know this is like a no duh thought but have you tried getting a denim jacket cutting sleeve off just to wear till she's tamed down.
I currently just use my hands, I don't want her to get into the habit if digging her nails in. When she's having a good day, she's very gentle with her feet placement and I would like to maintain that good habit she seems to be developing. I've also noticed that she likes being in my bed more than being in her cage, I might try using the bed more to hang out with her.

TeguPuppy

Now that her poop schedule is established, I've been letting her sleep in my bed with me at night. So far, she really enjoys it... she'll even snuggle up if it's cold. She doesn't run away, either, she's always right next to me when I wake up. I'm starting to learn that what she really hates is being picked up, she doesn't have any issues with me when we are laying side by side.
27a31d1cd5e35c1b31b8b90b01bf13d9.jpg

Zyn

If her enclosure is on the ground and front opening would it be possible to just let her bring herself out when she's ready ?

TeguPuppy

If her enclosure is on the ground and front opening would it be possible to just let her bring herself out when she's ready ?
Unfortunately that's not possible, just due to the way the room is set up. Also I want her to associate me as the nice lady who takes her to explore her favorite places.

Update: Alice has always hated coming out of the tub, but today I pulled her out of her morning soak and didn't get a single scratch! She also let a guest pet her. Needless to say, she was rewarded with raw, bone-in chicken wings (cut off a free range, all natural chicken that I am planning to roast later this week) and cubed mango!

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Unfortunately that's not possible, just due to the way the room is set up. Also I want her to associate me as the nice lady who takes her to explore her favorite places.

Update: Alice has always hated coming out of the tub, but today I pulled her out of her morning soak and didn't get a single scratch! She also let a guest pet her. Needless to say, she was rewarded with raw, bone-in chicken wings (cut off a free range, all natural chicken that I am planning to roast later this week) and cubed mango!

Very nice. Tegus of all sources vary in temperment. They're not domesticated like getting a dog vs coyote. You're doing things properly. Remember to lift from sides and below only. A from-above grab frightens them. Think hawk.

TeguPuppy

Helping me check my email on a lazy saturday morning :) Forgive my appearance, this was taken pre-shower. In other news: I need to invest in softpaws for her. Her nails rip me up no matter how well I clip them.

Snapshot_20170722_2.JPG

TeguPuppy

Softpaws have been purchased and affixed! Next time, I will buy the extra small size...these were small, and I had to trim down most of them to make them fit.
a5d0e28e47a6ee653c84ba40d0262e14.jpg

TeguPuppy

New development: She is getting way more out of cage time, especially on weekends. I live in a rather small apartment, it's not hard to keep track of her. We are effectively free roaming when I am not at work and not asleep. I am working towards making her a doggie door that will allow her access to a secured patio so that she can have a choice in her outdoor time (trying to get away from fake sun as much as possible, I really see a difference in her condition with natural sun).

The intelligence of these animals never ceases to amaze me.

So, I know cooked meat is less than ideal for tegus, and I always make sure she gets all her "good stuff" at feeding time, but I've gotten into the habit of saving a bite of meat from my meals for her. I dip the piece in calcium powder and offer it at bedtime, after the last handling session of the evening, when she goes back to her cage for the night.

Now, she has taken to coming into the kitchen when I cook dinner. I think she has figured out that that meat she gets comes from the kitchen. How amazing...my ex and I had a dog that wasn't smart enough for that!

TeguPuppy

Forgive the mess...but here is a photo of this adorable behavior.

"Mom...feed me. It's your job, duh!"
97201b9a1de4c495689f52b279032b1d.jpg

TeguPuppy

Alice came to Balboa Park today...we had a lot of fun. It's not the first time she's been around other people, but it is the most public place she's been. She did amazing...she had a blast, was tongue flicking and exploring everywhere and got a nice big dose of sunshine. But when I put her bag in the bag to come home, she thrashed madly and struggled, like she didn't want to go home.

Question: Was this tantrum her not wanting to leave the park, or am I anthropomorphizing? Should I start rewarding her when it's time to leave, or will that make her not be amenable to being out and about?
18587717f0931c54f4a5f55b4fd118bd.jpg

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Alice came to Balboa Park today...we had a lot of fun. It's not the first time she's been around other people, but it is the most public place she's been. She did amazing...she had a blast, was tongue flicking and exploring everywhere and got a nice big dose of sunshine. But when I put her bag in the bag to come home, she thrashed madly and struggled, like she didn't want to go home.

Question: Was this tantrum her not wanting to leave the park, or am I anthropomorphizing? Should I start rewarding her when it's time to leave, or will that make her not be amenable to being out and about?
18587717f0931c54f4a5f55b4fd118bd.jpg

I'm not sure. My comment is on the leash. Easy to escape? Easy to injure her neck in a struggle? Harnesses seem a better and secure hold.

TeguPuppy

Walter, I absolutely see where you are coming from. I made a thread about finding a decent harness: http://www.tegutalk.com/threads/tegu-harness.18933/

She's slipped out of every harness I've purchased for her...she tucks her front legs in, lunges forward, and she's free in seconds. The collar is the only thing I've found that she can't get out of. I ordered the supplies to make her a harness out of paracord, per one of the suggestions but it hasn't come in the mail yet. In the meantime, I've been using a collar I made of braided hemp cord because I still want to give her outside time and the enrichment that goes along with it.

I'm aware that it's not ideal, but it's a temporary solution. I'm super careful not to tug on the leash, it's mainly just a way to keep track of her.

Walter1

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Walter, I absolutely see where you are coming from. I made a thread about finding a decent harness: http://www.tegutalk.com/threads/tegu-harness.18933/

She's slipped out of every harness I've purchased for her...she tucks her front legs in, lunges forward, and she's free in seconds. The collar is the only thing I've found that she can't get out of. I ordered the supplies to make her a harness out of paracord, per one of the suggestions but it hasn't come in the mail yet. In the meantime, I've been using a collar I made of braided hemp cord because I still want to give her outside time and the enrichment that goes along with it.

I'm aware that it's not ideal, but it's a temporary solution. I'm super careful not to tug on the leash, it's mainly just a way to keep track of her.
Ahh, I think I do remember. Glad it's working.

TeguPuppy

Rodentpro order finally came! Now she gets mice...they seem to be her favorite thing! But it's weird, she only wants to eat them if I chop them in half...she won't touch them if they aren't bite-sized. Also, she's stopped eating veggies and fruit...she actually spits them out if I serve them "hidden" in ground turkey balls. I've attempted to rectify this by beating greens and a tiny bit of fruit to a slurry using a mortar and pestle, then using an eyedropper to squirt it into her mouth. She doesn't seem to have a problem with this, sometimes she even opens her mouth for me a little.

I don't mind the extra work, but I'm adding this to the journal just in case someone feels like there could be an easier solution or if I'm doing something wrong.

In other news, the paracord harness also didn't work. Took her about 2 hours before she learned how to back out of it by doing a lizard pole dance around a chair leg. She might just have to be a collar wearing tegu when we are outside. At least she's used to it and doesn't thrash like she does with the harness. Obviously this is not ideal, and I'm super careful. Hopefully she will get a bit bigger so we can make the harness work.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Zyn

my blue had little, if any plant matter. I'll introduce it once hes a year or more. I've always read whole prey items are more important for hatchlings and juvi tegus.

Edit: nvm I forgot she's not a hatchling

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980