• Hello guest! Are you a Tegu enthusiast? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tegu enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your Tegu and enclosure and have a great time with other Tegu fans. Sign up today! If you have any questions, problems, or other concerns email [email protected]!

All American female just woke up!

Joerob568

My all American female just woke up a few hours ago. I got her as basically a hatchling with green still on her and she went into hibernation almost immediately. She went down in late August and just woke up now after roughly 6 months. I turned the lights and heat on and she is drinking water like crazy! She's skinny and sluggish, but seems ok. When should I start handling and feeding her??

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I would give her a day or two to make sure she stays up before offering too much food. I haven't had to deal with this personally, guru stays up year round, so I don't have much to say about handling. I would guess maybe give her a week or so, make sure she's eating, drinking, pooping normally.

And pics!! I wanna see some pics! I bet she's beautiful :p

Rhetoric

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
Clumsy is alright, they've been out for months so it makes sense. Their bodies have to wake up nice and slow. You could try feeding her a little bit if she's out, my only worry would be that she goes back under for a little longer without passing her last meal.

Joerob568

Yeah good point. I should probably wait a few days to make sure she stays up. I'll go with the heat and lights on for 12 hrs a day and go with a night bulb to keep it over 70 and see if she stays up. So far although she's been real slow and sleeping, she has stated out and been moving around. Thanks for your help!

chelvis

1,000+ Post Club
5 Year Member
I would wait a few days before feeding and a few weeks after the first feeding to handle, just so she can get resettled in, just for the first hibernation and all you want to make sure that she has time to get rehydrated and get a good meal down before handling too much.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
Niles has been down since oct. Last month he 'woke up ' 3 days in a row. Fooled me into thinking was up and basked and drank a ton and ate one cricket then went back down. A few days ago he got up. Again I was excited. This time drank, basked under 5 min! No crickets/nothing and back to bed. I'm really hoping for 'the real thing ' soon!!! :s

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Joerob568

Sounds like it'll be pretty soon. Mine is still out and basking, but has basically slept all day long. I'm hoping she stays up, but the real test will be when I put the lights out tonight.

BatGirl1

1,000+ Post Club
I have heard march is common 'wake up ' time... i hope sooner :)

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilovecaimantegus1980